Chapter Twenty-Six

A/N: Hi Cam.

Before I published this, Fix Me had 66.6k views >:)

I INTRODUCE MORE PEOPLE THIS CHAPTER YEAH BOIIII

Dan's POV

"This project will account for 50% of your grade, I recommend you take it seriously," My English teacher droned on and on. "I've decided to cut you all some slack and allow you to work in groups of two to four," Several quiet cheers sounded from different parts of the classroom. "After you have found your group, come up and get one of the sheets on my desk. Use the last thirty minutes of class to begin planning, I will give you your rubrics tomorrow."

We all jumped out of our chairs, hurrying towards his desk. I returned to my seat with Phil and I's paper a moment later.

"What does ours say?" Phil asked, craning his neck to read the paper.

Our project was to review a piece of text, all randomly selected from different books, and write about what we thought they meant.

I began reading. "...he left a scar on my heart. But it was from this scar that grew a flower, from this flower a garden, and from this garden a field. And then my heart was in full bloom, seemingly unharmed from the man that had torn it in half. And then I loved again. I saw in more colors than ever. I didn't dare to think sinful thoughts, keeping my mind pure and my tongue untouched by hatred," I finished reading, looking up at Phil. "What do you think it means?"

Phil thought for a second. "I think it's talking about growth from pain, like someone in an abusive relationship. After they finally manage to get out of it, they don't act bitter or angry. They use their experience to make them better as a person, to know exactly how to not treat other people. What do you think?"

I nodded, staring at him fondly.

"Um, Dan?"

I blinked, shaking my head. "Sorry I um... you're cute when you get all smart like that," I grinned, looking back down at the paper.

Phil blushed, rolling his eyes.

"But you're idea is brilliant, Phil. I agree for the most part, but I don't think it's about abuse."

"What do you think?" Phil asked, a small smile playing on his face.

"I think the speaker was deeply in love with someone they couldn't have, but even though they knew the relationship wouldn't work out, they began seeing each other anyway. When the guy broke it off, the main character was heartbroken. But eventually, they got over it. They matured, realizing how naïve they were to ever think it could have worked out. I think it's about doomed love, and how some things just weren't meant to be."

Phil nodded thoughtfully. "I see where you get that from, it's good."

"Thanks." I muttered lightly playing with his fingers.

"So our final ideas are 'healing from abuse' and 'naïve love'... I think it's amazing how we got such different ideas from the same thing," Phil pointed out, putting the papers in his binder.

I nodded as I began to pack up. "Yeah, and how these ideas mainly come from the experiences we have in our own life.

"So you think that our love isn't meant to be and that I'll break your heart?" Phil asked, a hurt look crossing his face.

My eyes widened. "No! Of course not, I just—I could never—I was just thinking---I mean um...why are you laughing?"

Phil shook his head, looking up at me with a grin. "I was kidding, Dan."