Chapter Thirty-Five

A/N: I get out of school soon, you know what that means...

M O R E U P D A T E S

Also, idk if I said this before but I know very little about British school systems so I'm treating Dan and Phil's school like it's American, sorry

Dan's POV

"Uhg, look at this," I groaned, holding out my phone towards Phil.

Shoving his schoolwork aside, he took it, glancing down at the message displayed on the screen:

"Hey danny boy, im in charge of setting up the end of year dance and i want you and phil's opinion, which theme should we go with?

-Hollywood

-Starry Night

-Tropical party

-Classy

I don't really like the tropical idea, but Annie made me include it :/

Let me know what you think! ^.^"

"What are you saying "uhg" about?" Phil asked, sliding my phone back to me.

I raised an eyebrow sitting up on my bed, "The school dance? The whole idea of it is just so cliché and pointless.

Phil looked at me oddly, "You think so?"

"Oh definitely," I snorted, "People talk it up to be some amazing and romantic ball, when really it's just a bunch of teenagers either sitting alone in the bleachers or sucking each others' faces off in front of everybody."

Phil's face fell. "Oh, I didn't realize you felt that way," He responded softly, tearing at the corner of his study guide.

"Does it matter that I feel that way?" I asked, leaning back against my pillows.

Phil shrugged, "Kinda, yeah. I mean, I was going to see if you wanted to go but apparently you don't."

A pang of guilt twisted in my stomach, I hadn't even considered Phil might want to go. "You wanted to go with me?"

Phil nodded, glancing up at me sheepishly.

"To be fair, I've haven't been to a dance in a few years, maybe they changed?" I offered, pulling him into a hug.

"You don't have to go if you don't want to; I want you to have a good time," Phil smiled, leaning into my embrace.

I grinned, kissing his cheek. "I always have a good time when I'm with you," Phil blushed at this, "Now, hand me my phone."

I opened up Val's message, typing a quick response.

"Hey Val, we both agreed that starry night would be a really cute :)"

Phil's POV

It was the savoury smells of dinner that lured Dan and I downstairs that evening.

"I think my dad was supposed to get home today," Dan thought aloud as we walked downstairs, "I wonder if he made it back yet..."

As if on cue, Dan's father stepped out of the kitchen, enveloping us both into a tight hug. "Hey you two!"

"Hi Mr. Howell," I laughed, enjoying the fatherly embrace I hadn't felt in years.

"Dad," Dan's voice was muffled in his Dad's shirt, "When did you get here?"

"A few hours ago," He replied, releasing the both of us, "I would have come said hi earlier but I had some files I needed to drive down to the office, then Mary asked me to make some copies for her, then I had to go to the library because our copier wasn't—You don't care about that, do you?"