Chapter Thirteen

A/N: Once again, sorry this is short, but I mean hey, it's a start, right?

Even though it is unofficial, I think of this as the prologue to "part two" of the story. It's a new beginning for everyone.

Also, I'm going to be in Illinois for two weeks, so the next update will probably be in 3 weeks.

Sorry fam

Page from Phil's journal

Dear...whatever this is,

So, I have never really kept one of these things before, but hopefully it will help me deal with life right now.

I'm back at home now. Dad has been more abusive lately; I'm not really sure what to do about that. Maybe I could run away. The only thing stopping me is that I have nowhere to go. I guess I could stay in an apartment or a motel. But I only have enough money for one or two weeks. Don't know what I would do after that. Maybe one day I'll have enough money to stay, although first I need to get a job.

Well, that's all for now.

-Phil

Dan's POV

My life has gone from bad to badish in the past few weeks.

I had gotten into a fight with my "friends". This happened after I told them my real opinions on them, which was in fact a long string of swear words and insults. However I feel that the golden bit of that conversation was when Anthony called me gay, and I responded with "I'm bi, actually". I've never seen him so shocked.

Of course they have control over most of the school, so it was quite unsurprising that I was one of the most hated kids in school by the end of the week.

Strangely, I didn't care as much as I thought I would. I mean, if anything my life had gotten better.

Ok, well, that's a lie.

But it had improved in some ways. I had decided to stop ignoring my mum. The smile she had on her face when she saw me cooking dinner was brilliant. I had forgotten how funny she was

I thought about Phil a lot, wondering how he was doing. He doesn't know, but I had a nurse agree to email me his recovery process. I was relived when I got the notice that he had been released, but I was also worried. Now I had no way of checking on him besides directly contacting him, and in all honesty I doubted he would answer.

"Dan, are you alright?" My mum inquired, snapping me out of my thoughts. "You seem a bit quiet."

"Y-yeah. Just thinking." I muttered, returning to my food.

Page from Phil's journal

Dear, booky-thing,

Dad hit me with his beer bottle again, it was worse this time. I have some pretty bad bruises on my back, but I'm sure they'll fade. I've thought about messaging Dan several times, but decided against it. I go back to school in three days so I might as well just wait till then. Although, if he texts me first, maybe I will respond...

I think I need to pick up a hobby. Playing the guitar seems fun, but I don't really have the money to pay for that right now. Maybe I should try sketching? I'm not an amazing artist, but I guess I could learn.

I really do think I'm going to run away. As soon as school gets out, I'll get my car and just drive. Then, once I find a nice, quiet town, I can get a job. I don't mind sleeping in the car until I have enough for rent. It would probably only be for a week or so.

I really should go to sleep, its already 3:23 am. For some reason I feel like I'm never really tired any more. Like when I wake up after stayingup till five I am, but it's just hard for me to fall asleep. I'm sure that if I wanted to I could stay up all night with no issue. Although I've never really liked pulling all-nighters; they might be fun while you're staying up, but then you have to drag yourself around all the next day, and you're too tired to do anything.

I'm going to try and sleep now, but I'll write tomorrow.

-Phil

Dan's POV (The next day)

I had been staring at the message typed my phone for at least 15 minutes.

"Hi phil, i know we havent talked in a while, but i just wanted to make sure u were adjusting well to being back home"

It was such a simple message, yet there seemed to be an invisible force holding my finger in place, unable to do anything. Finally, I managed to slam my finger down on the "send" button.

I stared at my phone in anticipation for a few minutes, but after a while decided that he probably wouldn't respond, and I shouldn't hold my breath.

I tossed my phone onto my bed and picked up my book, Will Grayson, Will Grayson (A/N: It's what I'm currently reading :P)

I had only just found my page when I heard my phone chime. To say I quickly picked up the phone would be an understatement. I tossed my book to the ground and belly flopped onto my bed, rapidly opening up the message.

Phil: Hi dan. yea, im doing ok. i'm having some issues with my dad, but that's really it. i have gotten a lot better

I began quickly typing my response.

"I'm really glad to hear that! I hope every thing with your dad works out ok. If u need something you can call me :3"

Thx, I will. I g2g now, my dad is home

Bye

Bye

Although Phil's last passage seemed slightly worrying, there was no proof he was in any danger; hence I decided not to worry about it.

I felt slightly reassured talking to Phil after so long, even if it was a short conversation. I reached over the side of my bed and grabbed the discarded book, finding my place and continuing with the story.

A/N: sorry for the length of that and stuff, but I really didn't know what else to write. Tbh ik I never am that pleased with the way my chapters turn out but this is probably one of my least favorite chapters I have written, sorry

Um, ik its kind of boring rn, but it will get better I swear.

See y'all in three(ish) weeks!