Chapter 10

"HEY!" Essie shouted. "I COULD USE YOUR HELP!" Leo's eyes shot open, Essie stood in front of him holding her dagger, she looked like the world's bravest 10 year old. Leo got to his feet. 

a manticore stood in front of them. 

"Should we fight?" Es asked. Leo threw a fire ball, that only made it angry.

"NOPE! RUN!" He said, Leo grabbed anything he could from the campsite. "Looks like you're coming with me girly!" He jumped onto Festus. 

Es jumped on behind him. He patted Festus' neck. He took off with amazing speed, Es clug onto him gasping. When they reached cruising speed. Leo let out a laugh. "That was close wasn't it?"

"How are you laughing we could of died!" Es said loosening her grip. Leo turned and helped her with her harness. 

He shrugged buckling himself, "It happens a lot to demigods, just so happens I'm one of the most powerful, so to monsters I'm pretty obvious to see and smell."

"Oh..." Es said from behind him "So I guess I'm part of your quest right?" Leo shivered. He did want to endanger this 10 year old but he can't go back to camp, I guess. He sighed. He had no choice.

"Welcome to the crew."

~

"I can't believe I just did that." Essie said plopping down. Festus curled around them creating a little circle of safety. 

"Bah, it was only 6 venti, plus I killed 3." Leo said taking out some coal and started a fire.

"But I handled those 3 without any help from you!" She said, digging into Leo's tool belt and pulled out taco stuff. 

"so did I." Leo smirked. Es stopped digging and looked up.

"I'm. 10." She said staring at him like he was an idiot. He just smiled and grabbed the meat throwing it into the pan. She shook her head and kept digging until she finally found the cheese. "I'll take watch." she offered after a long time of listening to the meat sizzle.

"Uh, no." Leo said putting the finishing touches on his taco's "you've done enough."

"I only fought 3 venti, plus you look exhausted." Es pointed out. She pulled a mirror and showed him. 

He looked like he hadn't slept in days. Which wasn't true because he slept for a hour. The worry of finding Calypso didn't help. He looked about two years older than he actually is. "I guess you're right. Just a couple hours then wake me up." 

"Leo..." Essie started "Just sleep." 

"Okay. Night girly." Leo said, laying down.

maybe this girl isn't that bad, Leo thought. maybe we can make it through.

Leo has never been so wrong.