Chapter Twenty-Three

Unedited.

"I pass out in shock, once and you almost die twice, if I didn't know better, I would think you are trying to out do me." Elwin said, behind the makeshift curtain of blankets.

Sophie laughed ruefully. "If I was, I already have you beaten by a long shot." She said, as she drank elixirs and let Elwin rub salves on her scratched arms. She had managed to transmit to him that the others hadn't known about her earlier injuries, he kept quiet but shot her a stern glare as she healed up.

A freezing and shaking mess, Sophie was wrapped in blankets after she had been healed up, she found herself sitting on a the soft bench, between Alvar and Fitz. Alden had taken her seat in the cockpit. "We're stopping in Hawaii, to get you to a hospital." Kyle told Sophie. "I'm good as new." She said. "I'm. Taking. You. To. A. Hospital." He said slowly. Sophie ducked her head. "Yes sir." She said. She pulled the blankets closer around her. The feeling of free falling through the air still had her heart hammering, then plunging into the cold choppy ocean, sinking deeper into the inky vastness of it all.

The demon was weak, something had been wrong with it, Sophie had been able to decapitate it easily. With coal black skin and crimson red eyes it had been incredibly weak, it had barely managed to sink it's teeth in her arm. Though she had looked worse for wear, when she had dragged herself up onto the plane, the freezing water that dripped off her body had been stained with red. From her earlier wounds and the fresh, which were stinging with the salt water.

Sophie wouldn't hear the last of it from Kyle, if she didn't go to a hospital, though there wasn't a scratch on her, she still dreaded the smell of anesthetics, and sickness, needles and the stinging smell of disinfectant, but she could probably get her reflexes checked, she just might make it out without any needles. Kyle let out a sigh, "Okay so I finally believe the whole story you have me...now. Why would they create something like that? World domination? Cause if there is going to be an invasion I want to be prepared." He called back to Sophie.

Sophie hardly heard him over the engine of the plane, Alden handed her the headset and she spoke. "They started a war with the Black Swan, they want to destroy...some things you're better off not knowing about...anyways they call those demons dark elves."

"Like the myths? Where the dark elves are like mercenaries?" Kyle asked. "Yeah, but these elves they don't have an present state of mind, they're pretty much serial killers with no present state of mind."

"None at all?" Kyle asked. "No. But something was wrong with that one, it was weaker then the last."

"You think it was sick?" Alden asked. Sophie nodded, "Something like that."

"Well maybe it just got out of the lab, like the frozen tube or whatever they use to experiment on those things." Kyle said. Sophie's eyes widened. "Kyle you're a genius!" She reached for her purple backpack which Linh willingly gave her. Turning back in her seat Kyle spoke. "I could of told you that." He glanced back at her. "Want to be specific?" Sophie waved him away as she unzipped the front of her backpack. She brushed past her hair brush and ties, she shoved side the paracord bracelets and found the spy ball covered in it's black cloth. She could find where the keys were, what the Neverseen where doing, with it. She handed the ball to Fitz before pulling out her memory log.

Flipping through her nightmares, memories, and clues she stopped at a blank page. "Well all I'd have to do is tag one of those things with a tracker and see where it leads us. Dex do you think you could make a tracker?" She asked. The demons had to report back to the Neverseen to tell them her location or if she were dead. That meant they had ways of communication, or they had some kind of zoning device which made the Neverseen keep track of them. "What kind? How big and how soon do you need it?" Dex asked as he opened his own bag. "Something that will stick to a demon, but not conspicuous, small and as soon as you can." Sophie answered. She projected her memories of each demon she had fought.