Chapter Twelve

Unedited.

"So what's going on between you and Hecks?" Sophie asked, Tam as they both waited by the wall. Stina was dancing with some other elf she knew. Tam shrugged as he twirled his cup around causing the punch in it to cause a whirlpool.

"I've kissed her a couple of times." He said. "We're complete opposites we argue a lot but...we like each other." He said. Sophie rubbed her ear, fixing the earring that had gotten caught on a strand of hair. "We're not getting serious though...we kind of decided to wait till all this Neverseen stuff passes over we might give it a try." Tam shrugged again. "Why do things always have to be so complicated? I thought tonight would be normal." Sophie groaned. Tam scoffed. "This is where all the drama happens in the Lost Cities, you actually expected it to be normal?" He asked.

"Well yes, I think I deserve a little normal." Sophie said. "I'm not saying you don't, I'm saying you should of looked somewhere else to be normal." Tam said. Sophie tilted her head back and stared up at the chandeliers. "So what's going on between you and Vacker?" Tam asked, using Sophie's own question against her. "I don't even know any more Alv-" Sophie cut off as sure realized Tam meant Fitz. Tam's eyebrow raised. Sophie sighed deeply and shook her head. "It's just confusing right now. I'm confused right now." Sophie said.

Tam gave a chuckle as he looked in his cup as he raised it to his lips. "Sounds like you need girl time with Linh and Biana." He said before sipping the punch. "Oh please no." Sophie groaned. "That'd only make it worse. It'd make me read into things way to much, and last time I started reading into things...well it didn't turn out so good." Sophie's eyes darted to the indigo eyed elf twirling a laughing Marella on the dance floor. "You're weird." Tam said. It wasn't an insult, but it didn't sound like a compliment either. "I know." Sophie sighed. "Okay, so you have been avoiding Fitz all day and everyone has noticed, why don't you just gather your reckless behavior and go tell him why." Tam said.

"Because, we're cognates, do you have any idea what'd would happe-"

"No and neither do you." Tam said. Sophie groaned, "Stop moping about." Tam lowered his voice. "Everyone is starting to talk." Sophie looked around and realized elves were looking at her and Fitz along with a few other elves, whispers were starting to go up. Sophie glanced at Tam who gave her a look that was half 'I told you so' and 'Go fix this' Sophie took a deep breath, handed Tam her empty cup and walked across the room, where Fitz was sitting, taking a breast her from dancing.

He saw Sophie coming, but he didn't move, he didn't smile either. Sophie sat next to him with a huff. Fitz didn't look at her but instead stared out at the twirling dancers. Sophie's foot tapped as she stared at Tam across the room, who gave her one last look before turning to Linh. "I'm sorry. Okay?" Sophie blurted. "I messed up a lit- no I messed up a lot. The truth is-" Sophie cut off. What was the truth? Did she really like him? Like that? The answer was yes. It had always been yes. Since the first day they met, it had been yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

How was she supposed to tell Fitz? Fitz stood up, as the next dance began to start he held out his hand. "Last dance." He said. Sophie took his hand, she couldn't ignore the butterflies or her racing heart any longer. She had to tell him..or somebody. Fitz wrapped his arm around her, waist as his other hand, clasped with hers. Sophie placed a hand on his broad shoulder. The dance was silent but as Sophie stared up at the eyes of her cognate partner, she could feel her mistakes being forgotten.

The dance floor was so full, Sophie and Fitz had to hold close to each other. Fitz's smile came back for a moment as he smiled down at her.  The dance ended, and as couples kissed around them, Sophie wondered if Fitz would kiss her? Would he ask like he said he would? "Sophie?" He asked carefully, brushing her cheek with the back of his hand. "Yeah?" Sophie asked, hating his her voice squeaked. "May I kiss you?" Fitz asked. Before Sophie could answer he swooped down and pressed a lingering kiss on her cheek, so close to her lips yet so far away. He pulled away, Sophie knew. She knew then, she needed to tell him, she needed to fix her mistakes. "We need to talk." Sophie said, not letting go of his hand they weaved through the crowd as the play started.

Sophie didn't stop until she found herself in a garden, with benches resting on the courtyard. Sophie picked the largest one, and managed to sit, Fitz sat next to her, not letting go of her hand...instead he held it tighter. His eyes bearing into Sophie's soul. "I messed up, I'm sorry. Things came up that I forgot, and well I kinda freaked out and I didn't want you knowing...yet." Sophie said. "You did make mistakes." Fitz agreed. "But I think that gives me one mistake to make." He said lifting her hand, and pressing a kiss near her wrist. Sophie was tongue tied, as her eyes widened, her face burning. "Well two." Fitz smiled, his eyes never leaving Sophie's. "Your first mistake was not telling me my brother was here." He said. "Your second was avoiding me all night. So that entitles me to make two..." Fitz's eyes roamed over Sophie's face as if taking in every detail. "Unless you want to admit some more mistakes..." He said his eyes lingering on her lips.

Sophie didn't speak. She couldn't. What was Fitz doing? Did he understand what was at stake? All the cognate training they had done to get where they were...

"I hope you'll permit me to make my second mistake of the night." He said, his breath brushing Sophie's face, as he leaned in. Sophie's mind felt foggy, clouded but she knew...this...what was happening it couldn't happen...it shouldn't.... What if it ruined everything? But what if it made everything better? The little voice argued, in hope. No, she couldn't risk it. She focused on Fitz who was inches away, he was watching her...waiting for her permission. But as she looked at him, she knew by the sad smile on his face that he knew the answer. "We can't" She whispered. Fitz's smile was sad as he spoke not moving away.

"My second mistake." He whispered his voice low, reverberated through Sophie's mind, feeling like silk caressing her mind, the softness in the tone made every sense she had go wild, a kind of alarm was ringing in her ears, an alarm that told her something was going to change. Very soon. "Will be going against your decision." He said.

Then he kissed her.

(Yay! Sophitz! Sophitz! Sophitz! Sophitz!)