chapter 08

Millicent awoke drenched in perspiration and cried out. Her hand pressed to her chest as if she could stop the pounding of her heart. Her hands began to tremble and she let out a groan as she realized this was no nightmare. She would not wake in her own bed no matter how frightening or how dark things became. Right now they were pretty dark...quite literally.

She tried not to remember but it was there in her head. It tormented her...so that asleep or awake she could hear his voice...feel his hands...his...she turned her head and became sick. The dry heaves hurt her bruised stomach but she was glad she'd gone without supper. When at last the convulsions stopped she wept. She remembered her promise to Mama and the weight of guilt added to her pain and shame.

"I know I promised not to hate him, Mama. But may the Lord forgive me, I can't NOT hate him! He's a monster!"

A monster that gave her away to a beast more horrid than even Randall Weathersby! Mama was given to a monster as were many women every day. But at least mama had the protection of matrimony. She had food, a home, a name, and her reputation. If things were different and Mama had outlived Randall Weathersby, she would have had a widow's rights.

As the daughter of a merchant she was beneath the notice of many in good society. But thanks to the good graces of Lexi and Clay she was generally accepted in good company as the daughter of a wealthy gentleman (her connections to trade were simply never mentioned).

She sobbed until she hiccupped and then moaned as she struggled to catch her breath. There was no going back even if she could escape. Even Lexi and Clay with their combined influence could not make anyone overlook the fact that she was...ruined! She would never be able to be a lady's companion or a governess now. She would be lucky if she could find work as a scullery maid!

Her father did this to her. Her father brought her so low. No, it was Blakeney. Father gave her away but it was Blakeney that ruined her. She suddenly wailed a long and agonizing sound that was pure despair. Though it pained her she curled into a ball and sobbed hysterically unable to stop the torrent of hopelessness that overwhelmed her.

Even when she stood at the side of the new grave and watched them lower Mama's coffin...even when she saw the dirt fall and heard it hit the coffin...even when the rain started to fall...even in that most desolate of places she was less wretched than she was now. There was no place left for her in good society. There was no occupation left to her save...nay. Not even that.

Her torment was complete. Blakeney had crushed her spirit and left her broken in body and soul. She could not even become a whore for no man would pay when they could take for free. Anxiety built within her breast. She struggled against nausea, dizziness, and pain as she moved clumsily to her knees. She had to move...to go—anywhere but here! She had to get away from—from him!

She felt her knees wobble as she set her first foot down and yelped. There was no one to hear, no one to care. Suddenly she didn't care either; she just wanted to get away! She scrambled to her feet but as soon as she placed weight on them she knew it was hopeless. The bottoms of her feet were raw and swollen. Her weight on them pressed pain in every nerve seemingly all at once—it was too much.

Millicent collapsed in a heap. Her head struck the floor with a thud. She moaned as she slept in a nude heap on the floor. She forced herself away from the pain and the memories of ...him. Instead she was eight again. She was with Lexi and Clay and they were laughing...and she was happy.

---

"Papa, please! We must do something. Millie's been gone for almost a week. Papa, Please!" Lexi sobbed as her mother held her, "We must do something to help Millie! We must!"