Chapter 33

It was no great exaggeration on her part to gasp. The cold malice with which he spoke chilled her but she quickly remembered herself and redirected his attentions.

"How horrible! If this is so, my poor son will be a fatherless boy in less than a month's time—"

"It is so, Mrs. Grayson. As I have already counselled you, it is a fact to which you should reconcile yourself."

He reached out once more and patted her shoulder again. The look on his face was almost pleading. He wanted to be done with this whole scene. It was time. She leaned forward and clutched at his hands in a desperate gesture. He leaned back as though she had struck him.

"Might I entreat you once more on behalf of my son?" She sniffled and pulled back and dabbing at her eyes. "Might Ladd be allowed to walk with his father...upon the deck? Surely if James is unarmed and under guard I need have no fear of him!"

"You would fear him?" Sutherland asked dubiously.

"I have been so deceived. He told me he was the son of a duke! But you were not deceived. You knew what he really was! I am certain I should quake in his presence! He's a pirate! Of course I am afraid!" she looked at him through widened eyes.

"Then why do you ask he be allowed to walk with you?"

Here was the part where Millicent hoped she'd done her part. She was pretty certain Sutherland assumed her a senseless hysterical female at this point since he was very nearly rolling his eyes at her but he had to be ready to do anything to make her stop with the hysterics. If he gave any thought to her next request he wouldn't allow it. And for their plans to work it must be allowed!

"For a mother's love, sir. Surely you can give him these few memories of a father's affections. When we reach England we shall be bereft of family or friends. When I think of—" She sniffled and wept anew. "Of—of all he—he will—endure—th this seems such a—s small thing—"

She sniffled and took a quivering breath. It was time to stroke his rather inflated ego.

"Can you not give him these few moments—of comfort? Is it not within—y your power?"

She gasped then, her shoulders slumped and she leaned into Sutherland. She let out a ragged sob, her shoulders shook. His arms went about her in a conciliatory gesture and she felt his hand hesitantly pat her back. She allowed herself only the briefest smile.

"My poor fatherless boy!" her voice was a raspy croak.

She clutched at his sleeves and let her tears fall on his velvet shoulder.

"Oh!" she said softly and let herself sway slightly.

She fluttered her lashes as she looked up at him. He looked panicked and called for her guard to bring fresh water.

"All is well Mrs. Grayson. You must calm yourself. I am not completely without feeling." He stepped back and patted her hand trying to put distance between her salty velvet-destroying tears and his fine person.

She resisted the urge to pull her hands away and slap his pompous face as he smugly told her that he was a man of compassion and he understood her plight. She blinked back a few fresh tears, certain her face was red and puffy by now. She sniffled and started to dry her eyes with her glove. Sutherland offered her a handkerchief with more lace than hers.

She took it and dabbed delicately at her eyes. Having satisfied her request she couldn't give him a moment to rethink his decision. The time for tears was past. Now she needed to appear grateful. She offered him a tremulous smile and noted how his eyes were drawn to her lips. She licked them slowly before she fluttered her lashes at him again.