chapter 07

Millicent held her breath as she watched him carefully. Two of the men behind her stepped forward and her heart threatened to pound right out of her chest! Blakeney neatly re-folded the letter and tucked it in his belt. With a flick of his wrist he snapped out the night shift that was balled into his fist.

He held it aloft by the shoulders and waved it about like a flag. Leers and rude comments went up around the deck. The two men that had stepped forward stepped closer. She noticed the movement but was too overwhelmed by disbelief and fear to react in time. Their big meaty fists grabbed onto her arms with crushing force. She bit her lip to keep from crying out. Blakeney laughed.

"Before we embark, you must be told the rules. First: you are mine. It is that simple. Second: You will do as you are told. Third: You will mind your place and hold your tongue. And Lastly: You will not attempt to escape." He lifted a hand and the two men holding her yanked her roughly forward.

"I would like to think a girl as clever as you would know enough to obey such simple rules. However I am convinced your father knows you better. So I have decided that I shall heed his advice in the matter of establishing consequences." He lifted his hand again and flicked his wrist toward the deck.

"No!" she screamed. "Let me go! Let Go! NO!"

She kicked and jerked her body left and right. She screamed for all she was worth. The two men on either side merely tightened their crushing grip and she felt her fingers going numb. They lifted her so that her feet scarcely touched the ground and dragged her roughly along oblivious to her kicks. She might have been a fish on the line for all the chance she had of escape.

They dragged her below decks and as they descended the steps she heard Blakeney shout orders to get underway. As they walked down the long dimly lit corridor she heard the thumping of the busy feet on the decks above her. The sounds faded as they descended another set of steps and she was dragged deeper into the ship.

She quickly lost track of the way since the way was poorly lit and it was all strange to her. She was dragged at last to a small room. In the light of a single lantern she could see it was empty save for a pile of rags in the corner. She wouldn't be able to find her way back, but she knew she was deep in the ship and well below the waterline.

They threw her forward and she landed hard on her hands and knees. Since her arms were numb from their grip her elbows buckled and she smashed down face first onto the floor. They laughed behind her and she lay there a moment stunned. Slowly she stood and wiped the blood from her split lip. She eyed their swords but thought better of it. For now, she would watch and wait.

Turning she straightened her spine and winced under her full weight. Her knees threatened to buckle so she locked them and lifted her bloodied chin a notch. She clenched her jaw against the pain and fear as her eyes darted quickly about. The lantern dangling from the hook on the ceiling beam was the only light. No portals.

The men blocking the door stepped aside and a third man entered carrying a stool and a board. Blakeney came in behind him. The door was left open and there was just enough space that if she ran...Blakeney laughed. The stool was set down and Blakeney crossed over to it. He leaned forward and took the board.

Holding it like a club he thumped it menacingly against his palm. The third man stood inside the doorway. The other two moved. She stepped back and found herself pressed against the moist wall. If Blakeney wanted to frighten her into obedience, he was doing a good job. She could scarcely draw a breath around the lump lodged in her throat!

"Now then. The rules." Blakeney sat on the stool, taking a moment to shift around, making a show of getting comfortable.

The delay was meant to intimidate her further. She was loathe to admit it worked. This small room seemed even smaller with four rather large men in it with her. With speed that belied their size the two men closed the distance and grabbed her arms again. She winced and sucked air through her teeth as they yanked savagely at her arms and dragged her over to Blakeney.