Chapter 38

James tipped his head back and laughed.

"You're probably right. She'll be mad at me." James nodded toward the sleeping beauty, "But she's better now." He reached forward and ruffled Ladd's hair as he added: "so it was worth it."

"I'll tell her not to be mad at you. You only did it because you love her and want her to get well again."

James put his arm around Ladd's shoulders and pulled the boy to his side in a half-hug. The boy was a treasure trove of refreshingly honest observations!

___

"J-Ja-James?" Millicent finally managed to get her lips to cooperate. It was so frustrating the last few times she'd awakened. She was alert and her mind functioned perfectly but somehow it seemed detached from her body. She could hear people in the room talking about her but she couldn't respond. She heard them say the medicine would wear off. She hoped so!

"I'm here."

"Ladd?"

"I'm here too, Mama." Millicent felt his little hand slip into her own.

She managed a smile as she weakly squeezed his hand.

"What happened?" she asked James then she lifted her hand a vague attempt to wave. "Wait. I remember..."

She licked her lips again. Her mouth was dry and gritty as though she was chewing on sand. Ladd offered her a cup of water. She reached for it but her body was still slightly disconnected and she had trouble gripping it. James took the cup and lifted her head as he helped her to sip. She turned her head away when she'd had enough and he lowered her to the pillow.

"A pirate grabbed me. I stabbed him with my knife..."

"We saw him." James confirmed. "Or rather what was left of him. You stabbed him in the eye, broke his nose, split his lip, disjointed his knee, and put your rapier through his heart."

She winced at the memory. That didn't explain how she got here or why she was so...weak. Closing her eyes she tried hard to remember.

"I can't remember..."

"Bailey looked at your injury. He's seen quite a few in his years with the blade. Best we can figure is that at some point during your struggle you were cut. Knife or sword we couldn't say. It went in your back and sliced around and down toward the front. You were probably stepping away from your attacker since it's deeper at first and gets shallower."

Millicent just blinked as if to acknowledge that even in her limited capacities she had managed to grasp this explanation. James smiled and finished.

"Since it wraps around we figured you probably were turning. Saved your life in any case. It didn't sink deep enough to..." he paused as the word stuck in his throat, "to kill you. It wasn't very deep, but Bricker had to stitch you inside and out to keep it from scarring badly."

She tipped her chin lightly in a nod. Her tongue darted out and wet her lips. James reached once more for the water and helped her with another sip. When she finished he set her head gently on the pillow with a severe look on his face. She wrinkled her brow.

"When you passed out you fell where you were hidden from sight. We all thought you were somewhere else. It wasn't until we were safely away that I...I'm sorry I didn't look for you sooner. Maybe it..."

"James." She was tiring and shook her head to clear the cobwebs. "You had a ship to save."

"We did it." He grabbed her hand and brought it to his lips as tears betrayed his heart.

"I knew you could do it." She smiled weakly but it ended as a yawn. "I'm so tired. No more medicine, please."

"You were right, Papa. She doesn't like to be in bed."