chapter 20

"You didn't know?"

"No I didn't." She shrugged. "Still, he sold me to pay a debt. I shall hardly feel sorry for him should one of his illegal adventures end unpleasantly for him."

She was truly surprised at how easily she could dismiss him.

"Now back to the matter of my...identity. I am to be Mrs. Smith? We should say we are newly married then, for it will allow my not being well acquainted with you."

"That is wise. When you must lie, stick as close to the truth as possible. It is easier to keep track of."

He was pleased with how easily she accepted the suggestion. She accepted it with much more grace than he had.

"Very well, husband. What do I call you? I can hardly call you Captain."

"My name is Martin." He said softly and watched her blush prettily.

He wondered now why he had been so against the idea of claiming her for wife...

"I know." She whispered as she worried the lace ruffle at her wrist. "I remember..."

"Yes, well..." He realized she hadn't used it since...

"Why haven't you used my name, Millicent? I've addressed you by your given name many times."

"You didn't give me liberty to use your given name in company."

"I do now." He felt a stupid grin plastering itself to his face.

"Shall we find our son?" He stepped toward the door.

"Wait!" she grabbed at his sleeve.

"What is it?"

"If we are newly married..." she blushed a deep shade of crimson.

He wondered for a moment that she did NOT blush so much when they were engaged in more amorous activities. He forced his attention back to her words.

"... How is it that our son is ten?"

"We are newly married. We are returning to my home in India. The boy is mine from my first wife, now deceased. Lad's own mother is truly dead, so it won't be hard for him to remember."

"You have a home in India?"

"Not anymore."

A silence fell between them. He wondered that she didn't question his statement about having a son by a deceased wife.

She wondered that he had lost a home in India...maybe a family too.

"Cap'n?" Lad knocked gently on the door.

"What is it Lad?"

"The second shore-leave party has left. Bjoern and Arne are waiting to lower the boat whenever you are ready Sir."

"We will be but a moment more. Come in, Lad. I have something I must ask of you."

---

Lad was thrilled to play the part. He seemed to delight in calling Millicent "Mama" and did so several times in every sentence. He had a little trouble referring to Smith as "Pa" or "sir" instead of "Cap'n". On the short ride from the ship to the dock they were treated to Lad's life story, such as it was.

"Ma passed on when I was five... or six? I can't really recollect but Bitsy was real little. Pa sent us to the barn. We were too little to be of any use to Pa or any of his visitors. Ruthie brought us food when she came out to gather the eggs. She taught me how to milk the cow and said I was to tend to Bitsy."