Chapter 28

"Aye, it's possible he sold some of his captives as slaves. More likely as not he killed them all. Dead men tell no tales, my friend." James said honestly, "The survivors we know about, the ones that were set free...I believe they were ransomed."

"Millicent comes from a good family. She's a lady..." Bricker started.

"Millicent's father is the one what gave her to Blakeney in the first place, don't you remember!" Master's spat the words, his disgust plain in his voice.

"Lad ain't got no family." Stu added somberly

"What should we do then Cap'n?" Stu asked, "You got a plan?"

"We could sail for England."

"England." Bricker whispered as though it were a fairy tale place.

"And what would we do in England?" Stu wanted to know.

"All those years ago in that filthy little room I promised you that we would do what we needed to survive. I promised you that we would avenge Captain Martin, God rest his soul. We never made plans beyond that. What I'm proposing men, is that we return to being honest merchants. I have connections in England that I..."

"What sort of connections?" Masters asked remembering all too well that Randall Weathersby and his ilk were there.

"My father," James began, "invests quite lucratively in trade with India, China, Spain and Italy."

"Your father?" Stu asked at the same time Bricker said "You never mentioned him before."

"Because I was..." James sighed. He didn't want to remember but they had a right to know what they were in for, "I was running away to sea."

"You was a grown man. What do you mean you was running away?"

"I am the third son of a duke. I suffered much tragedy in Bombay and I couldn't face the..."He sighed, "I couldn't go back to England and pretend all was well. I couldn't face that life. I ran away to sea and sailed as Jim Smith."

"I remember when you first come aboard. You was green you was. Not to the sea, but to work. Your hands bloodied right quick at first." Masters chuckled.

"Aye. And you couldn't fight worth a damn either." Stu snickered, "Still can't."

There was a round of subdued laughter before they were hushed.

"You would go back to that now?" Masters asked somberly.

"Aye. I would. What sort of Captain would I be to leave a fine crew and ship such as this is without a livelihood."

"Honest merchants." Stu said thoughtfully. "I almost can't remember what that's like."

"Aye." Masters added, "It bodes well for us then. But I don't think we should sail for England empty handed. We should go to Said and return to England with a hold full of trade. That will fill our purses and make this trip a worthy one."

"Loxley was seen here three days past. I have business I must attend to. If we hold in Port three days more, we might miss the Loxley all together."

"Would that it were so." Masters grumbled.

"Aye. The man seems to have a sixth sense about finding ships." He sighed and asked "Are we in agreement then? We sail for Said to fill our holds and return to England honest merchants?"

A round of agreement followed.

"Beggin' your pardon, Cap'n. What should we be calling ye?"

"I am the Captain am I not?"