Chapter 36

"Cap'n?" Bricker came in followed by Bailey.

"She's going to need stitching, Bricker and you have the steadiest hand."

"Aye. I'll go fetch the cat gut and my stitching needle."

"I'll shred one of my white shirts we can use for bandages. It is pure cotton from the Colonies. It will be absorbent, light and gentle against her skin."

"Cap'n?" It was Cook. "I heard. I had to see. We need to clean it out, and clean it up every day. She needs to sleep and be still. Is the flesh warm?"

"No, she's so cold!"

"Cold flesh is better than hot. Means fever hasn't set in. She's cold from bleeding out but we'll warm her up. There's no good what can come from fever. I know what she needs and I'll be back presently. Never you mind Cap'n. She's a tough nut, that one."

With a crooked smile meant more for James' comfort than from any real feeling Cook turned and hustled off toward his galley. Once more alone he looked at Millicent's form. She was so pale, so cold. If not for the lifeblood slowly oozing from the gaping wound she would easily be taken as a corpse. His breath caught at the thought and he fell to his knees at the edge of the bed.

Bricker was first to return and stopped short at the door. Millicent looked like a corpse. James knelt next to the bed weeping. Tears welled in Bricker's eyes. They had lost her then. He felt an unfamiliar pain squeeze his heart and knew she would be dearly missed. He cleared his throat. James leapt to his feet and wiped his eyes on his sleeve.

"Bricker."

"I'm so sorry, Cap'n. I know you..." he cleared his throat again, "that is, we all...She was a fine woman, Cap'n."

"No!" James' hand flew out toward the man as if he could snatch the words from the air. "She lives. I...I had a moment of weakness, I—"

"I brought me another lantern." Bricker swiftly changed the subject, "I've done this many a time and I'll be gentle as I can. I'll make my stitches neat and small. It will heal faster and scar less. I've a flask to clean the needle. I promise I'll take good care of her."

"Thank you Bricker." Smith stood and clapped Bricker on the shoulder. "I know you will. Bailey will be here in a minute with bandages and Cook says he knows what he needs mixing. I tried to clean her up some, but—"

"We'll take good care of her, Cap'n. Have you told the boy yet?"

Smith cursed and shook his head.

"He should be told afore morning Cap'n. He's a brave little lad, that one, and he loves her very much." At the pained look on James face Bricker added: "You want I should tell him?"

"No." James sighed sadly, "No. I'll do it. Thank you."

Bricker watched as James went through the door. His heart was heavy for the man and the boy. They'd only just made themselves a family. It wouldn't be right to lose Millicent so soon. He sighed and turned determined to make sure they didn't.

"Bricker." James stood just outside the door, "I imagine we shall both return shortly. Ladd does indeed love his new mother very much and I know he shall want to help as much as he can."

"Aye." Bricker nodded.

Once more he turned and crossed deliberately to the bedside. Gently he touched the flesh around the wound inspecting the area. He could see where the captain had begun to clean away some of the blood. Poor man didn't get far before his heart broke. With a sigh he clamped his jaw tight and began the work of cleaning up his friend. Cook would be around with salves soon.