chapter 18

(Pictured: The pup Captain promises Lad, which the boy promptly named "Salty...on account he looks like someone spilled salt on 'im".)

"Cap'n?" Lad whispered close to Smith's ear.

Smith was awake at once. He was immediately aware of Millicent's soft form curled up next to him. He sighed happily.

"What is it Lad?" He whispered.

"Bjoern says we should be coming up on Gibraltar and he sent me for you."

Lad kept his voice barely audible. He spoke to Smith, but he watched Millicent. Smith wondered if Lad would approve for just a moment before the boy's words finally registered with his sex addled brain.

"Gibraltar?" He processed that and smiled. "We're a full day ahead of schedule. Excellent. Tell Bjoern to hold course. I'll be up presently."

"Aye Cap'n." Lad slipped out as quietly as he had slipped in.

Smith moved away from Millicent and climbed from the bed. He tucked the covers back over her shoulder and stepped quickly into his clothes. A full day ahead of schedule! He would order course altered and let the men take shore-leave in Puerto de Algeciras before they went to Barcelona.

He had become captain by mutiny and there were still those aboard who were unsure about his ability to lead. Shore leave would settle doubts. He would make it clear that any who wished could leave without consequence. It would unify those that remained and perhaps it would curry him favor. The stop would give him time to gather intelligence too. He frowned as he glanced at Millicent.

They were nearing that part of their journey that would take them through one of the last remaining pirate lanes. They would do well to know about any activity in the area in the weeks prior. Any attacks in the last sennight would be worrisome because they might still linger. Attacks older than a fortnight meant the lanes would be clear for merchants.

In the passing of a fortnight the various governments could get ships into the area to seek out pirates and sink them. And these were bad times to be a pirate. That's why Blakeney had become a "merchant" after taking Captain Martin's ship. With the glory days of the privateers long gone and the advent of steam powered ships piracy was dead in the water.

At the door, he turned and looked at Millicent. The waning moonlight spilling through the windows cast a glow about her. She looked like an angel, pale and perfect. In three steps he was at her side. She stirred quietly in her sleep but didn't wake up. He kissed her gently and turned once more to leave. He was smiling as he slipped from the room.

Bjoern and Arne would be awaiting orders at the helm. Lad fell into step with him before he reached the helm.

"Wake Masters quietly. Have him meet me at the helm."

Lad nodded and was off. His small form disappeared into the shadows moving silent as a wraith.

"Bjoern. Arne." Smith greeted the third watch helmsmen.

"Cap'n." came the returned greeting.

Sometimes Smith missed his days at the helm. He was fond of the third watch. The ship was quiet from the daily noise. Only a handful of men were about. With the men below decks it left the helmsman alone betwixt the sea and the stars. It was exhilarating. He thought of Millicent that first day on the decks and he had to agree with her assessment.

It was also very humbling being so small between two such endless expanses as sea and sky. Bjoern stepped back allowing Smith to take the wheel. The gesture was appreciated but short lived. When Masters arrived Smith stepped back allowing Bjoern to take over once more. Turning to include Masters and the helmsmen he explained his wishes.