chapter 24

Millicent heard Smith bellow and looked down to see Smith's fist send Stu stumbling toward the stairs.

"Good Lord! Has he gone completely mad!" she yelped and started down from the shroud.

Her arm snagged the ropes and she looked up in alarm. Biggs held her wrist firmly. He nodded toward the melee below and shook his head. She nodded. She wasn't to interfere. She looked back in time to see Stu rub his jaw and grin. She slipped her arm through the shroud to brace herself and did the only thing she could do...she watched.

Stu was a big man, larger than smith both in height and girth. Stu charged and Smith didn't move out of the way fast enough. Millicent flinched as Stu's shoulder plowed into Smith's middle. Smith's breath left him in a whoosh as they toppled backward.

She remembered that feeling and liked it none-too-well! They rolled around for a bit swinging fists and grappling for any sort of advantage. Millicent was impressed Smith lasted so long. Sheer size would say Stu should've made short work of Smith.

The men began appearing from everywhere and soon were ringed around the pair of fighters. Smith landed a lucky punch to Stu's ear and extricated himself from Stu's hold. Cheers went up and she smiled. This was what they did earlier when she sparred with Bailey. Relieved this was only entertainment she leaned back into the shroud to get comfortable.

From the looks of it, this could take a while. Smith kicked, bit and struck with all of his force. Despite his rather valiant efforts, Smith only landed a few good blows as most seemed to bounce off Stu with little effect. Smith dodged most of Stu's blows but he was tiring and it didn't take a genius to see this wouldn't end well for Smith.

A great roar went up as Stu's fist connected with Smith's chin. It lifted Smith's feet off the deck and sent him tumbling backward. He landed in a pile of sore bones and coiled ropes. When he didn't move the crowd dispersed as the crew returned to their duties. Stu crossed over to Smith and picked his limp form up by his pant waist.

"My lady!" Stu bellowed as he carried Smith easily. "The Cap'n requires your assistance in his cabin."

Millicent joined in the laughter that erupted from the decks as she scurried down. She leapt to the deck and joined Stu as he was leaving the captain's quarters.

"Is he alright then?"

"He'll live right enough." Stu's meaty fist jabbed a thumb over his shoulder at the door. "But he'll need some mending."

"Does he...er..."she scratched her scalp and gestured toward the deck where they'd fought, "does he do this often?"

Stu looked at her a moment as if measuring his words. After a brief pause he rubbed his chin and shook his head slowly.

"Only when he needs to let off steam."

Millicent wrinkled her nose in distaste. What sort of answer was that?

"Does he ever...win?"

"No. And I don't reckon he ever will in a fair fight, but that's what he insists on. A fair fight."

Millicent recalled the fight vividly. Stu had blood on his cheek, smeared from where Smith bit his ear. And he'd have an impressive bruise on his hip where Smith's boot got him. She had no doubts it was aimed at his groin. For all that she didn't feel sorry for Stu because Smith looked worse. No, she couldn't exactly call what she'd witnessed a fair fight.

She started to open the door and turned again.

"Stu!" He paused and turned back. "Who tends to him when he's like this? I mean, before me?"