chapter 21

Smith sat silent, long after Millicent had fallen asleep. He was alone with his thoughts...and his demons. He was fascinated by this attachment between Millicent and Lad. It was more than the fact that their fathers cast them off and it was more than just a friendship between kindred spirits. He recognized it as maternal affection. That begged a few questions.

How was it that Millicent—who had never born a child—could be so attentive a mother? And how, his demon whispered, could Dorthea hate her son so much she would smother him to be free? He shook his head. Millicent was beautiful and her beauty was more than a mask to wear in polite company. She was a good woman and would be a good wife. Bloody Hell!

Where did that come from? Ah, their charade today. She played her part well. She was motherly toward Lad and affectionate toward him. She asked his opinions on things but didn't necessarily defer her own. He watched as Millicent slept curled protectively around Lad and wondered...Could he love her? He smiled. Yes, he could.

Hell, he was already half in love with her. But that half of him was easy to convince. Could he ever love her completely? She deserved that... and more. She deserved a family to love, one that would love her in return. He watched her carefully today. The outing was pleasant but did he really want a family again? He couldn't say. Dorthea...

Dorthea was dead and this line of thinking was...wasn't helping at all! Any fool could see that Millicent was a prize worthy of claiming but did he still have the heart to claim it? Lad stirred restlessly in his sleep and Millicent snuggled him close yet neither awoke. He smiled at the tenderness. It seemed their attachment functioned even in their sleep. Sleep. Smith yawned.

He looked at the pocket watch he still wore. He looked at the two of them and smiled. Even if there were room for him in his bed he couldn't sleep. His demons were restless, besides, Bricker would be back soon. Their little outing created a diversion allowing for certain inquiries to be made without notice. Quietly, Smith left the room and sought out Masters.

---

"I don't like it, Cap'n. I know we're for Barcelona and then Port Said. But Cap'n, four attacks in the last month alone!"

"You surprise me, Masters. Are we afraid of pirates now?"

"It ain't pirates what bothers me! I suspect Her Majesty will send hunters after these pirates and so will every other bloody nation. It's a wonder they ain't been scuttled yet...or captured and hung."

"Ah. There's the key. We're an honest merchant ship, Masters. Why, I have even brought my wife and son along on this journey. Surely Her Majesty's warships will offer us their protection and bid us safe journey."

"And them others?"

"Any sanctioned warship would do the same, no doubt. And as for 'other' ships, let's just say that our looks can be deceiving. I'd not like to be the captain that orders an attack on the Charlotte."

"That may well be true. But I still don't like it none. There's risk and then there's folly. I'll have none of the latter if it puts my neck in the noose."

"And do you fancy I'm anxious for a noose?" Smith rasped harshly. "None of us fancy such a fate. That's why we became merchants. As such we aren't the object of Her Majesty's ire"

"I wonder, Sir" Masters sarcastically stressed the latter, "If you've given any thought to what we'll do when we finish this job?"

"I beg your pardon? I thought we were discussing how to handle pirates?"

"I was an honest sailor once and so were you. We agreed to do what we needed to in order to survive and avenge Captain Martin. We've done that. I say we finish this job and turn honest merchant. You've the connections to do it."