18•

¥¥¥
Jack

¥¥¥Jack's POV

¥¥¥
Jack's POV

I'm going to kill her.

She knows how intimidating this guy is and the bitch locks me in a room with him?

"You know what? This is for the best. We've been avoiding him for far too long, dude. It's obvious we want him!"

"But I'm not ready!"

I've never been good at talking to guys I like. Ever. Sure, I have all the smoke for bitches I hate and randos, but this is my mate. What if I fuck it up?

I'm just going to face the door until she lets me out. Fuck this.

"Jack."

Fuck.

"Fuck him for sounding so goddamn angelic."

"Yes?" I felt his eyes on me, I couldn't bring myself to turn around.

"Can we talk?"

"Sure."

"Will you look at me please?"

I'm not sure if I can.

"Do I have to?"

"Only if you want to." Oh no.

"I feel his sadness. You better turn around and face our fucking mate or else I'll go the full 100 and mark him."

"I'll take the first option, please and thank you."

I spun around to make sure there were no tears and let out a sigh of relief upon not seeing any. "Let's talk," I said, smiling widely to make him feel better.

He just stared at me for a bit, biting his lip. What is he thinking? Long gazes from him always make me nervous.

"Actually," he said. "I think it's time for you to listen."

...oh.

"You can't just continue on ignoring me like this. Time after time, I've tried to get in contact with you whether it be through your friends, your teachers, or just someone you see once a day. It may feel appropriate for the way that you're feeling, but it doesn't feel right on my end. I'm your mate, Jack. Whether you like that or not, that's not going to change. So if you're going to reject me, just do it and save me the curiosity and pain."

I was at a loss for words. He thinks I'm going to reject him? I get goosebumps whenever he's near me.

Well... that's not often, I suppose.

He's right. I never once thought about how he felt while I was avoiding him. Some nights I cry because I'm without him. I can't even imagine being on the end where it's involuntary.

"I would never reject you."

He looked up at me with wide eyes.

"What?"

"I... I couldn't reject you. I'd be empty."

He scooted closer, looking for more answers.

"Then why do you ignore me?"

Oh God. The tears are coming now.

"Um," I cleared my throat. "I guess it's time to come clean about some things."

My hands shook in my lap. I didn't expect things to get to this point.

"I-I can't handle new love."

He was taken aback by my statement, silently leaving me room to explain myself.

"Um... my mother died giving birth to me... and my father blames me for that. He did what a father was supposed to do legally by putting a roof over my head and giving me food to eat, but... there was no love in my household."

His dinners were eaten in his bedroom while I was forced to sit in my own silence at the dining room table. At the age of 8, he was sending me to the store alone with money to buy my own school clothing. He never cared what I bought.

"I didn't think love was possible for me until I met my friends in elementary school... and I didn't think it could grow so strong until I met you..."

His breath hitched, his look of disbelief never ending.

"I love you, Nick. I just... can't take it when new love comes around.... I could hardly believe it when I met the idiots downstairs. I even tried avoiding them for a month after meeting them, but they stalked me into being their friend."

He chuckled at that last bit, bringing light to my mood.

"I'm not going to ignore you anymore."

He let out a sniff. "...what are you saying?"

A smile crept across my face as I looked at him. "I'm saying..." I raised my hand up. "that I, Jack Chambers, accept Nicolas Crane as my mate."

For the first time ever, I was able to look longingly into those deep blue eyes and not have a clue what they were thinking.

"Don't leave me hanging," I whispered, my voice cracking slightly.

He smiled so wide that I worried his cheeks might fall off before lifting his hand off of his lap. "I, Nicolas Crane, accept Jack Chambers as my mate."

We held hands and the ground beneath us disappeared. Light surrounded us until we could barely see eachother, but I felt his presence as if he were inside me.

Once I felt the magical touch of two fingers on my shoulder, I knew we had gotten the Moon Goddess's blessing.

The golden light slowly faded away as we were gently let back onto the floor.

It was at that moment when I understood that it really was him.

I think I can handle this.