Chapter Forty Five

My breathing was shallow and my heart hammered loudly in my chest. I allowed my legs to carry me as best as they could at the moment. The principal's voice continued yelling loudly behind us as Blade led the way down a staircase and I followed.

"C'mon," he urges a little out of breath as he reached the front door and threw it open.

He allowed me to take the lead and he followed closely at my heels as our running foot steps echoed off the ground. The silence that had filled the streets before had been disturbed by our sprint to the Mustang plus my loud panting. Blade threw open the car door and I dashed around to the passengers side and hopped in. He stepped on the gas as I closed the door. The tires screeched loudly before the car sped off. I was wheezing loudly from exhaustion. My heart was hammering in my chest and my body prickled uncomfortably at the prospect that sooner or later, the cops would be on their way.

"Did you get it?" I ask after I finally found my voice.

My throat felt extremely parched and my lungs felt as though they were about to capsize from over working.

"Yeah I got it," Blade replies keeping his eyes on the road.

The Mustang was going over the speed limit and I tugged on the seat belt and belted myself safely into the seat. My face was damp from sweat and my breathing beyond ragged, almost struggling.

"Do you think he called the cops?" I ask glancing out the window at the places we'd left behind.

For a split second I expected the principal to come chasing us. The street was empty and the Mustang was speeding on and on, way above the limit and increasing. Houses flew by and Blade took a hard turn onto a street I didn't know.

"Maybe," he replies with a slight grin and I twisted uneasily in the seat and glanced out the window again.

"He saw us," I say aloud uncomfortably.

"I doubt he got a good look," Blade replies nonchalantly.

The Mustang took a sharp turn onto another street. Everything was flying by so quickly I could hardly make out where we were. The Mustang raced on and my chest fell and rose as I idly peered out the window once more. For a second there had been a distant twinkle of a light in the side mirror. It had disappeared almost immediately making me think I had imagined it.

When I'd almost forgotten it a few minutes later, out of a scene from hell there appeared a bright flashing blue light. My body sat up straight in the seat fear slightly trickiling over me. My eyes flashed to the back as I stared wide eyed at the back windshield. A car with flashing lights was following us in the distance. The blue light was catching up, not by a lot but getting closer. That's when Blade seemed to have noticed it. If he had any thoughts he didn't share them.

"DRIVE...!" I yell suffering a voice crack.

Blade shifted the gear and then the Mustang was flying onwards. The car behind us was racing to catch up as the blue light flashed madly.

"How did they find us so fast?!" I choke out.

He didn't reply and I glanced over my shoulder panick stricken, checking just how close behind the other car was. The street was a narrow one with no turn offs.

"How the hell did they find us?!" I utter in disbelief.

The car raced on with the flashing lights still on our tail and the sound of a faint siren. How close behind the car was, I had no idea since I was too busy hoping for another street to pop up. Blade was too focussed to talk and there was no mistaking the sinister look he was wearing as if he was somehow enjoying the chase.