Chapter Thirteen

Oswald didn't seem to have the slightest idea what he was getting himself into. As it turned out we had the next class together, it was almost like we were destined to become friends or something. He led the way to third-period Literature, in the Literature hall which was just like all the other classrooms except it had bookshelves containing rows and rows of novels, magazines, encyclopaedias and anything remotely related to literature. It was almost like a miniature library. The words 'Literature Room' was etched into a plaque on the door which I noticed on my way in. A group of students came in and sat at desks along the sides and along the back of the room. My eyes did a sweep of the faces but none of them was from the class I had before this one.

"Over here," Oswald motioned with his head and I followed him quietly.

Eyes followed my every move, but Oswald seemed to be the least bit disturbed by any of the stares and whispers. He took a seat at the left of the classroom and I sat in the one next to his.

I really wasn't looking forward to introducing myself yet again. I hope I wouldn't have to. A scruffy looking guy sitting in the seat behind Ossey tapped him on the shoulder and whispered something but not quietly enough because I happened to have heard every single word clearly.

"Dude, is she your new girlfriend?" He inquires.

I rolled my eyes. It seemed everyone was thinking the same thing, the way they were pretending to not be watching and looked away quickly everytime I caught them staring.

"Try minding your own businesses for once," I spat under my breath.

My elbow rested on the desk and I leaned my head on my open palm and tapped the desk rhythmically with my other hand.

"Ah, no," Oswald replies hesitating a bit then whispered back to the guy, "just a friend."

It wasn't really convincing since even he didn't know if we were even friends or not.

The class settled and a middle-aged teacher walked in. He wore a dress shirt with a vest over it that sort of matched his shoes I noticed. The class went quiet and everyone stared at him as he placed his stationeries on the table before he commenced cleaning the board while humming loudly. The middle-aged teacher turned facing the class and clapped his hands loudly making a few people jump. His eyes began to sweep the faces, inspecting every one of them with a sort of smile. His inspecting eye reached where I was sitting then it moved swiftly on to Ossey then like a flash of lightning darted back to where I sat.

"Goodness gracious a new student!" he sputters and everyone chuckled.

"Where are my manners?" He says delightedly to himself before clearing his throat, "Ah good morning Class.''

"Good morning Mr Tessler," the students lazily yet collectively murmur and snigger.

"Madam, your name?" He asks happily smiling at me.

Dozens of eyes stared at and I sat up a bit more erect in the seat and stared straight ahead ignoring everyone.

"Secret Nolan,"I say introducing myself.

His hands stopped mid-clap and his eyebrows furrowed a bit.

"Secret?" He asks with an arched brow and I frowned.

"Secret?" He echoes his voice a little higher this time.

He seemed to be repeating it over and over in his head with a questioning look on his face.

"Secret!" He exclaims almost excitedly with his hands outstretched as if he had discovered something scientific or some inside joke, the only problem was he was the only person in on it.