Chapter Four

"The repair guy will be coming in today," Helen says walking into my room.

I hadn't heard her approaching and jumped a bit at the sound of her voice. I was still crouching on the floor staring at the picture of Emmett shirtless in his room. She stared down at me and I could tell she wanted to know why was I sitting on the floor, even though she didn't ask.

"You mean he's going to be coming in here?" I asked detesting the idea of some perverted old guy rummaging around through my stuff.

"No, he will fix the door from outside," she replies narrowing her eyes at me.

With that sarcastic sassy attitude, most times I had to pinch myself just to be reminded she was an adult. At least everyone's right when they said the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Helen was like the saucy sister I've always wanted, but instead, I have stuck an only child with a nervy teen as a mom.

I grimaced eyeing my bedroom while Helen dialled another number on her cell before holding it up to her ear.

"And..." she commands turning her attention back to me, the phone still in her ear, "be down in ten."

She left the room with her heels clicking all the way down the hall and down the stairs before disappearing. The sun had been out and in full effect since I awoke. I stood from the floor and walked over to the closet, retrieving my satchel. I dropped my cellphone inside with my purse before throwing it over my shoulder and leaving the room.

The sound of laughter echoed around the house. I frowned seeing Adam and Brett sitting at the counter in the kitchen laughing their heads off. I walked past the both of them doing my best to ignore their presences and pretended they didn't exist. I headed over to the cupboards getting some snacks. I tossed a bag of Doritos and an apple to go with it. Their annoying laughter was getting hard to ignore and I found it harder to continue the pretence. I walked over to where they sat at the counter and dropped my satchel on the countertop hard enough to get there attention.

"What are you morons laughing at?"

Brett held his cell phone out for me. On a loop was a six-second video of me wide-eyed and gawking when the door toppled to the floor. I clenched my teeth, balling my hands into fists.

These assholes posted it online.

I snatched the cell phone from Brett's hand, who shouted at me to give it back. He didn't dare to approach me or I'd punch him and he knew it. My thumb moved over the screen slightly. It had already amassed over two thousand views and was a source of great hilarity.

"You piece of sh!t..." I growl, gripping the phone tightly in my hand.

Adam had a smug look on his face while Brett seemed only concerned about his phone that I was squashing in my hand. Maddened I held his cell out to him and he reached for it, but before he could take it, I let it slip through my fingers and tumble into his glass of orange juice.

"What the...!" He exclaims, grabbing his cell from the glass.

"This is brand new!" He cries outraged.

"Well, you should have thought about that before you posted the video idiot." I hiss.

"You are the worst stepsister in the world," Adam spat.

I smirked at him, "thanks for the compliment, I do try to outdo myself daily."

He scowled at my remark, while Brett got paper towels to dry his cellphone.

I tossed my satchel back over my shoulders and glared at the both of them before walking towards the exit. Adams eyes followed me across the kitchen angrily and I stopped to look at them over my shoulder threateningly.