Chapter Forty Four

Start from the beginning

"How comes you know where the principal lives?" I ask still looking out the window.

"How comes you don't?" Blade responds and I rolled my eyes so far back they could have fallen from their sockets.

He cleared his throat loudly and added, "I may have broken into his house before."

"How did that happen?" I ask looking over at him.

"It was a dare and I was drunk."

"Something tells me you got away," I say with disappointment.

He chuckled, "almost got caught, but I'm pretty quick on my feet Tink."

My lip twitched and I went back to looking out the window in silence.

The Mustang was travelling at a steady speed down the almost empty street. My dilemma was getting worse as my feelings screamed both hate and infatuation at once, and my heart thumped harder every time I suspected he was looking at me. About eight minutes later the Mustang began to slow to a stroll as we entered a quiet neighbourhood. All the houses were modern and almost identical.

"Doesn't he have a wife and kids?" I inquire suddenly remembering the man who had given me detention thanks again to the asshole sitting next to me.

"Divorced, his wife and daughter moved across the country a few years ago."

"How do you know this stuff?" I ask suspiciously.

"I know stuff Tink," he says with a slight grin.

I frowned at the name but didn't argue. The Mustang came to a stop in a shadowy spot and the headlights went out. The street was empty as far as I could see, except for a stray cat that hurried by not far from the parked car.

"We should wait a few seconds before getting out," Blade says.

I didn't respond only looked around for a neighbour who perhaps was peering out their window but the street was empty.

"Here, you're going to need this," Blade says and I glanced over at him as he removed a ski mask and a pair of gloves from the glove compartment.

"You have a gun?!" I blurt out in disbelief, with my eye stuck on the only thing left in the pocket space.

He pressed the ski mask and gloves into my hands then reached out and stowed away the gun in the compartment without offering a reply. I can't say why I was surprised but I was.

Blade glanced out the window then spoke.

"Suit up, let's go."

We exited the car and stayed closer to the shadows as we made our way to the house. Blade moved quietly in front, his shoes making no sound, while I glanced around ever so often for to ensure we weren't being watched.

"This side," Blade whispers and I followed.

He led the way to where a balcony was on the second floor. Light flooded onto the balcony and my jaw twitched. I was wearing the ski mask Blade had given me, while the gloves hung from his front pocket.

"I think the door up there is open," he says in a whispery tone.

"Great, how are we going to get up there teleportation?"

He stared down at me with some sort of mischievous grin and I rolled my eyes.

"We could look for another entrance or we could climb, your call Tink."

"Good luck with that," I respond, "tell me how it goes afterwards."

"Aren't you coming?"

"You got us in this mess so you fix it, I'll be on the look out and give the signal."