Chapter 23

-Jesse

"Jesse." Petra's voice cut through me as I looked at her as the flurry of golden leaves fell around us. "Yeah?" I replied carefully. She looked like she wanted to say something but didn't have words for.

"We.. should probably get going." She said and took my hand. "What? I mean, what time is it now?" I asked and Petra slid her phone out of her pocket and glanced at the screen. "Almost five." Then we were kissing.

I didn't know how that happened. I remembered the song, long ago, by Ruelle... a song called Storm. When we pulled apart, her face was radiant. Like she was so blissed out, nothing could bring her down.

"What was that for?" I asked and she gave me a small smile. "Did mention how cute you look when you look puzzled?"

**************************

I got off her bike with Reuben in my arms. She looked at me and took my wrist. And I flinched. "Be safe, Jones. I'll see you tomorrow." She drew a circle on my wrist (for whatever reason, but it felt like she was reassuring me) and let go.

The last thing I saw of her was her smile as she drove away...

I set Reuben down and together, we ran towards the woods and towards my house.

"Jesse Xavier Jones!" I turned around and saw my mother. Awake for once. "Uh... hi?" I asked and she looked angry. "What do you think you're doing? Why were you at the hospital?" I didn't want to know how she knew that. "My friend was sick, alright?" I carefully nudged Reuben into my room. This isn't good.

"You should have told me!" She replied and I looked at her. "Alright, noted." I said and went into my room, my heart beating hard and fast. I hated her. I closed my door quickly and leaned against it, to close it softly. Reuben whimpered as I sat in front of the door, my fists clenched. I brushed away my angry tears and stroked my dog.

"Sorry, boy. Come on," I said and gave him a snack. I took out the feather that I picked up at the treehouse... maybe I could make it into something else?

-End

To a friend who I've never met and is my friend's other best friend. 

Get well soon. :)