Chapter Forty Three

Start from the beginning

I didn't hear the rest of what he said because I had disappeared back into the house. The crowd seemed thinner but people still danced just as gleefully. I made my way through the crowd and found Brad and his twin Chad and also Phoebe.

"You look upset," Brad says.

"Just met my public enemy number one..." I trail off

"An ex?" Brad asks and I scowled.

"No. He's... I don't know," I reply taking a can of beer from his hand and opening it and taking a swig.

"Could he be someone you like then?" He questions some more.

"I don't know, it's sort of a dilemma," I say taking another swig.

"Must be some guy to have you this confused."

"Is it possible to hate and crush on someone at the same time?" I question.

"It's possible. You just have a crush on someone you once hated or think you hate," he responds.

"Sometimes I hate him, other times I'm not so sure."

"What about now?"

"I don't know," I respond honestly.

"You don't hate him. I can see it in your eyes,"he says and I frowned.

"What about you?" I ask turning the conversation over to him, "seeing anyone."

"Not at the moment. My girlfriend and I broke up a few weeks ago," He responds but I didn't react just moved on to the next question.

"Is Chad dating anyone?" I ask thinking of Phoebe and Brad's twin.

"Hasn't dated in half a year," he replies.

Good. At least Phoebe won't be disappointed. If Chad had been dating then I'd definitely understand how Phoebe still managed to remain single. Chad approached us and gave me a smile and I returned it. I gulped down the can of beer and walked over to Phoebe who was dancing by herself. She was getting the attention of everyone who could see her. I frowned and pouted as she tried to make me dance with her. Thanks to Blade having my cellphone I had no way of finding Ossey or Hailey in a crowd like this. I danced a bit before I bumped into someone and Phoebe grinned and found another partner.

"Sorry about earlier," Emmett calls when I realized it had been him I had bumped into.

"Oh no, you seemed a bit busy so I didn't want to interfere," I lie.

In truth I was beyond thankful for that girl budding in.

"She's... " he begins to say and frowned.

"An ex," I respond a bit brusquely.

His eyebrow furrowed for a bit.

"Yeah, but that was a long time ago. I thought you knew I don't necessarily date Secret."

"I figured that out some time ago," I say bitterly.

Emmett led the way to somewhere more quiet where we could speak without shouting. The girl that had budded in may have been an ex but I was certain I've seen her leaving his house not too long ago. She's an ex but that doesn't stop them from hooking up now and then, not that it was any of my business anyways. The part we found was a lot less crowded and less noisy. Emmett seemed to not be picking up on my sudden less than friendly mood. The crush I had on him some time ago was gone to be honest.

"I hope you haven't been avoiding me," he says.

"Not really, I was just busy," I reply.

He wasn't buying it.