To Dread

As we pulled up to the courthouse, I couldn't help my racing heart. "Calm down Nii-san." I flashed my eyes toward the voice and felt his hand on my shoulder. "After today, everything will be over." I nodded and took a deep breath, telling myself that I could do this. Yukio had me dressed in the same suit I'd worn for that job interview. I'd have to look presentable if the jury was going to take me seriously.

The cram school kids were silent in back, and Yukio motioned for us to get going. I opened my door and when my shoes hit the pavement, the gravity of the situation truly hit me. "Yukio, I'm scared..."

He knew those words way too well, and he hurried to my side. "Breathe, Nii-san, I'm here, I'll always be here for you, remember?" I nodded once again and took multiple, deep, calming breaths. "He can't hurt you." I latched onto that statement like a lifeline, fixing my tie and slowly letting out a breath. My nerves were still on edge, but I wasn't about to have a panic attack at least. "Are you okay?"

I nodded, "yeah, just stressed out." I nodded toward the courthouse. "I suppose we should go inside, right?" He seemed apprehensive, but agreed anyway. My friends seemed concerned and they had every right to be, hell, I was more concerned than any of them. This would be the first time I was going to see him since the last time he used me. I hope he looked as horrible as I felt, that'd be the absolute least of his problems, hopefully.

Yukio opened the building door and let us all in, the interior was just as professional as I'd expected it to be. My instincts were screaming at me to run away, but logically, I knew I had to stay. I couldn't run away from my problems, not anymore. I was done avoiding my problems, it never solved them, and even made them worse.

A woman directed us to a large door and Yukio pushed it open, inside, there was my lawyer, who'd I'd met yesterday. He greeted us and told everyone what was going to happen. "You guys," he directed his words to everyone except me, "since you're the guests of the plaintiff, you'll be sitting in the seats directly behind us." I knew I'd be sitting next to him, a man I'd only just met, who knew more about me than I wished. He was court appointed, but he assured me that he'd do his best. Naito had a personal lawyer, which scared me to death.

It seemed like forever, but finally, we were ushered into the courtroom. We were the only ones there, not even Naito and his paid attorney were there yet, which I was heavily grateful for. My lawyer seated everyone and I sat in the seat he pointed at. He set a file down on the table and seated himself. I glanced back at Yukio, my pained expression mirrored on his own face.

"You'll be okay, Nii-san, you're safe here."

My lawyer, what was his name again? ... I think it was Matsuda... well, I'm going with that. He turned to my brother and I, "he'll be ushered in with handcuffs on, so there is no need to worry, alright?" I nodded and vaguely saw my brother do the same.

After another eternity, people started to walk into the room. Not many, however, since this wasn't a public trial. There was mainly a few news reporters and journalists. I'd been warned that they would be here, a priest was being accused of sexual assault, it was a huge deal. Thankfully, I was a minor, and my name and any information of mine would be kept anonymous.

The court stenographer sat in her appointed chair, a device I could only compare to a typewriter sat in front of her. The bailiff appeared out of nowhere it seemed, but I paid no mind to him. The jury was present as well, the mixture of unfamiliar faces unsettled me. I'd have to convince them of his crimes, speaking of which: I turned to my lawyer, Matsuda or whatever. "Where is he?"

He nodded, "it's normal protocol to bring the accused in last, before the judge appears." I took a deep breath and sat back in my chair, my tense muscles not relaxing in the slightest. "We still have ten minutes before the trial begins, so try your best to gather your thoughts."