Key (Yukio)

My eyes fluttered open, the first thing I noticed was the ache in my back. It was around midnight when a nurse had woken me up, politely asking that Rin sleep on his bed, for safety reasons. I'd obliged, carrying him to the thin mattress and covering his sleeping form. I'd sat on a nearby chair and fallen asleep halfway on his bed. The position reminded me of my twin's behavior in my class, head against the desk.

Yawning, I stretched, my back popping in several places and taking some of the ache away. My eyes flickered over to my still sleeping sibling, the morning light shining on his peaceful face. The amount of sunshine in the room caused me to startle, yanking my phone from my pants pocket and staring at the time.

I cussed under my breath, it was Friday and lunchtime at the academy. There was a missed call from a familiar phone number and I groaned, listening to the voicemail:

"Yukio-san, I'd appreciate it if you'd call yourself in instead of relying on me to do it for you."

Damn Mephisto, the narcissistic bastard. I rose from my seat quietly and exited the room. I waved to a nurse and walked downstairs, hitting the call button on my phone and listening to it ring. I had just set foot outside of the building when Mephisto answered. "Yukio-san, I was wondering when you'd call."

"Yeah, about that, there was an incident, so I apologize for not appearing to my classes. Just for a warning, I won't be attending the rest of my classes, either, and I'll need a substitute for cram." Birds chirped overhead and seemed to counteract my sour tone.

"Ahh, is this in correlation with the incident last week? How's the little brother?"

I held back my scoff, my bitterness lacing my tone, "he downed half a bottle of pain killers, so we've been at the hospital all night." I knew Mephisto couldn't care less about Rin as a person, but he loved to watch as his pawns fought each other. Seeing as how my twin was his favored pawn, I knew he'd be somewhat concerned.

"Is he alright?"

I smirked, "As his legal guardian, I believe you should've asked that a week ago when he was first admitted to the local hospital. However, to answer your question, he's fine, he's with me."

There was silence and I just knew he was brooding, "alright, you're dismissed from your classes and your teaching duties." He perked up, "do tell my little brother to get better soon."

"Yeah, noted." The line went dead and I ground my teeth, a ritual habit I've formed after every conversation with the demon. I sighed heavily and walked back into the building, making my way back up to Rin's room.

He was awake when I entered, "I wondered where you went." He yawned and rubbed his eyes, "you were here when I woke up earlier."

"When did you wake up before?"

"Dr. Hase came in around eight this morning and woke me up. He had some questions, mandatory stuff, I guess. But you were knocked out cold, I didn't even have to keep quiet." He gave me a toothy smile, his fangs showing, but it was far from menacing.

I chuckled and walked to his bedside, "it was a long night, wouldn't you agree," he rolled his eyes in response. "I was out talking to Mephisto, I called into school, so today is all about getting you home."

He blushed, "you say that like it's a hassle."

I shook my head, fixing my shirt, "nah, but it's not something I'm taking lightly," I gave him a pointed look and he, rightfully, looked guilty. "So when are you getting out?"

"I'm awake now because a nurse came and woke me up, she said something about coming back shortly, so.... soon?" I nodded and walked over to my jacket, taking it off of the chair and pulling it up onto my shoulders.