Chapter 2

Dylan, wake up there's school today!!!!"- Maria screamed for him to wake up. He hated this part, waking up. He woke up and did his daily routine.

The breakfast table was quiet, as always but his father broke the silence.

"How are the practice sessions going, son?"- Mr Van Rooyen asked Dylan.

"Great, although we had to share the field with the soccer team."- Dylan answered his father.

"What?"

"Yeah, they are renovating their field so they'll be using ours for while."- he told his father as he took a bite of his toast.

"They'd intrude on their best team like that? If you ask me I think that soccer team is a waste of-"

"Jack!"- my mother cautioned. "Not in front of the kids."

"What? They know what's going on in the world."- he tried to excuse himself.

The was tension, you could slice it with a knife. Dylan was used to the sly comments made by his father but Jessica... She wasn't. His sister was never the type to be racists or bias in any way. She was the "all for nature, world peace and  other corny stuff".

"Look, kids"-their father turned them. "Don't confuse my being frank with racism. I have nothing against other races. And I don't want you kids to either. But let's face it, our history is unforgettable and the truth is they'll probably never forgive us. And you know what? I don't blame them. If I were in their shoes I probably wouldn't forgive us too. But that's the reason why you can't trust them. They might have it out for you."- he explained.

"You really think that's what they all think? That we are the enemy?"- that came from Jessica, it was barely a whisper, she sounded disappointed.

"Don't think like your father, honey"- their mother said firmly as if daring their father to say something, he kept quiet. "You'll get paranoid about everything they do. You just live your life and be civil. After all, we are all humans."- she told her daughter.

That was his mother for you, Dylan thought to himself. She'd always been fair in her judgement and his father... Well, no comment.

Jessica stared at her plate. She looked sad but what He didn't understand was why.

"I'm gonna go help Maria with the dishes since it's a bit early for school."- she stood up from the table.

"You don't have to do that, sweetheart."-her mother told her.

"I know but I want to."- she smiled

"That's my girl."- my mother replied.

Dylan watched as Jessica disappeared into the kitchen, something was wrong with her, he'd get to the bottom of it. The rest of the breakfast was eaten in silence, the tension between my parents was thick. He excused myself from the table and headed for the kitchen to clean my dish. That's when He heard them, Maria and Jessica.

"Don't mind your father, you know he is not racist. Look at how he treats me."- Maria stated. They father did treat her like she was part of the family. They grew up loving Maria. Sometimes Dylan thought Jessica loved Maria more than their mother.

"But what if he is right?? What if he only sees me as the enemy. I can't stand the thought of the boy that I love hating me."- Jessica explained. She sounded as though she'd cry any minute from now, it pained Dylan.

"If he is a good guy like you say he is the. I think we won't have a problem. He will past your skin colour just like you see past his."- Maria consoled her. And that's when it hit him Jessica was in love with a black guy. Dylan stood at the door frozen, he didn't know what to do, who was he? Did he go to their school?He wanted her to answer all his questions. The was opened and Jessica stood there, staring at me.

"Were you eaves dropping?"-it was an accusation more than a question.

"Who is he, Jess?"

She laughed. It was fake.

"That is none of your business. How dare you"- she tried to walk away and her yanked her arm.

"What is your problem?"

"Tell me or I'll play snitch. Dad will be curious to know what you have been up to."- he threatened, he was desperate to know. He hate doing this to his sister.

"You wouldn't..."

"I just want to know."- he told her.

"Be careful of the things you want to know; you might not like what you hear."- she whispered but it wasn't a weak one it was as though she was warming him to back off.

"Tell me!"

"It's Jay, the captain go the soccer team. I like him"

He went numb for a few seconds. His mouth went tasteless and the liquid in his eyes dried up. He'd heard her but his brain hadn't registered it.

"W...what?"-the words stuttered out his mouth.

"Yeah, I'm in love with your enemy." She walked toward the the door, bag in hand. "Oh, you driving me to school."
He had to pick up his jaw from the ground before heading for the garage.

Sleeping With The EnemyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara