Chapter 26

He couldn't remember the last time he was this relaxed. Jay tried  to recall the last time he felt this happy and couldn't. He could hear the river flowing, the birds were singing, the weather was perfect and he had the most beautiful girl laying her head on his chest. Her long legs were tangled with his. He took in the fresh air through his nostrils and let it out. It felt good.

When Jessica had suggested they have a picnic he'd almost laughed out loud. She'd frowned when he told her there was no spot he knew of. Then it had dawned on her, he didn't know what but suddenly she'd smiled and said, " I'll take care of everything!"
At that time he hadn't liked the thought of her taking care of anything let alone everything. He'd come to notice how clumsy Jess was with everything. And she always got herself into trouble. Like recently, she'd been trying to set up one of her friends with one of her brother's friends. And let's just say it blew up in her face. Jay laughed as he recalled having to clean up the mess before Dylan got involved. He felt Jessica move her head and he opened his eyes. He found her looking at him curiously.
"What are you laughing at!"- she asked, her voice a little sleepy.
"I'm thinking about your little match-making fallout."
She immediately frowned and sat up. Looking at the river. Her body stiffened. Jay knew it annoyed her when he brought it up but he had to. Jess had a tendency of forgetting how bad her plans go even with her good intentions.
"I know you hate talking about it but we have to, Jessica I hope you've let it go!"- he said firmly.
She turned to look at him, "But why should I?!"
Jay looked at her. "Do you have amnesia?"- he asked a little too harshly. "Because your friend's brother almost went after that white guy."
"Sello was looking out for his sister, my friend, that's all!"- she shrugged, as if it wasn't that serious. "If you'd let me talk-"
"He would have killed him!"- he cut her off.  "And as for you I suggest not visiting your friend for a while."
"She likes him and he likes her."
Well that was true. Jay remembered how he'd found them. He hated Dylan's friend, Kyle, but he seemed really interested in Jessica's friend. He'd underestimated the power of sexual attraction. He knew everyone was a bit racist but these days attraction took preference. He knew Kyle didn't mingle with people outside his race but Jay had seen a change he couldn't explain in him. Maybe that's the same change he'd experienced. Once he saw Jessica he never saw her skin. He new she was white but that was a part of her he didn't think about excessively. He started to see her more often and he realized that he'd grown immune to her skin colour. When walking in public he'd find people staring at them and he'd wondered why and that's when he'd remember what society deemed their relationship...
"Look at me."- he said.
She tried to be defiant but eventually she turned.
"I know you mean well but somethings aren't in your control. They may like each other but circumstances may not allow them to pursue a relationship."
"But..."- she started.
"Ah ah... No buts, okay. Her brother wants her with a black guy and there's nothing you can do about it. If she's gonna be with him then she should make it happen. I'm not letting you get involved in this!"- he took her hands in his, "I need you you to promise me you won't get involved again."
She kept quite. He could see she was conflicted. Jessica liked helping people and it always got her into trouble but he wouldn't let her do it this time. Because this was serious!
"Jess..."
"O..."

His phone buzzed interrupting her. She sighed, relieved she didn't have to lie to him.
"I have to take this but this..." He pointed to her and himself "isn't over!" He stood up from the blanket walked toward the river bank. He looked so good in his shorts and vest. She'd become addicted to looking at his body and she couldn't wait to touch it thoroughly. The Vaal River looked beautiful in the summer and they had the perfect view of it. Plus there weren't a lot of people at the Emerald resort during the week.
"Happy did what!?"- came the growl!
That snapped her out of thoughts. She looked at Jay. He had his one free hand of his hip. He was pacing back and forth listening tentatively to the person on the end of the line. She was dead, dead, dead and dead. She started to fidget. Looking for nothing in the picnic basket.
"She said to ask who...?"
"I think I might know who that is. Okay, don't worry I'll find her."
She felt him glaring at her. She heard his slow, calculated footsteps heading toward her on the blanket. She just stared at the green grass. Then there was silence. She could feel his anger radiating in waves from his body. She looked up at him and a shiver went down her spine.
"Why is Happy in Pretoria and who's she with!?"
Oh she'd done it now. She'd gotten herself into trouble again!
**********************************************************************************
Please vote and comment. I love hearing from you guys.❤️❤️❤️