Chapter 18

"I will have some coffee please."- Jessica told the waitress.
"I will have the same."- Happy said. The waitress left their table.
Jessica looked at Happy and she suddenly felt sorry for her. She'd have to attend school on Monday with those scars on her face and not doubt everybody will be talking about the events that took place yesterday, Friday.
"Why were you late?"- Happy asked her.
"I to meet up with Jabulani. He took to me Thato's house so that Thato could help me with my physics."
Jessica saw Happy's lips curl up into a smile. "What?"- Jessica asked curiously.
"You are getting good at pronouncing their names properly. Your accent has gotten better."- she complimented Jessica.
"I know, right. I am just so happy, Happy!"- she stated excitedly, And both girls laughed at what sounded like tautology. "Between being with Jay and my grades getting better I just don't have a reason to be unhappy right now. And I am making knew friends and learning about other South African cultures. You know, Jay took me go see a Sangoma!"
"Really?"
Jessica nodded
"And you were scared?"- Happy asked, surprised that Jessica would even agree to go see traditional healers in action. Sangomas were gifted healers and were blessed with the ability to see predict the future. She'd learned a long time ago that their visions were subjective. The future changes when a decision is made thus they were able to help people by warning them about their ways or people who wish to harm them.
"No"- Jessica Shook her head, "I loved it and I even got something from one of them: a wrap with a leopard on it."
"Mine has a tiger."- Happy mock whispered.
Jessica smiled, "we should so wear them at the same time!"- she also suggested.
Happy smile disappeared quickly after her smile.
"Dylan!"- it wasn't a question.
Happy nodded, "I don't know who I am more made at: myself because I lost control and acted like a savage or him for being so oblivious to what I am going through."
Happy was about to say something when the waitress came with their hot drinks. She set them down on the table and asked, "is there anything else?"
"No, thank you!"
She left.
"He was stuck between a rock and a hard place, Happy-"
"I know and I wish I understood but I don't. He could have stayed on that side of the field, stood with his 'people' but why touch Her? I can't understand that!"- she explained. Jessica looked at her distress. It was written all over her face.

"They have known each other for so long... I know she can be a bitch but him she's..."- Jessica couldn't find the word.
"The one that got away?"- Happy helped.
"No! He didn't love her like she loved him. She was with him because it seemed like that was the way it should be. But they were different, too different!"- she stated bitterly. She remembered what the break up did to Dylan and she didn't want that to happen to him again.
"Dylan is not like other guys: he isn't afraid of a commitment. He actually wants to commit but he hasn't found a compatible partner. Until he meet you."
Happy smiled.
"You get his weird jokes and you are willing to listen to his medical facts."- Jessica stated farther.
"He told you..."- Happy whispered, she was surprised.
"He tells me everything. He dreams with you and you let him. Which is more than the people, who are already in his life, have given him. Please do not give up on him Happy."- Jessica pleaded. "Please..."

Happy wanted to give him another chance. She'd seen his calls but decided to ignore them. She always believed that silence was never the answer but right now silence was the thing that kept her sane. She didn't want to cry over this, over him. And she wouldn't. She was taught to be strong and that is what she will be.
"How do you do it?"- Happy asked Jessica before she took a sip of her coffee.
"What?"- Jessica said, as she sat her mug down.
"How do you keep all this race stuff from affecting your relationship?"
Jessica shrugged, "I don't know. I guess it's the perks of keeping a low profile. Do not let them get to you. You and Dylan are very popular around the Vaal Triangle unlike us where only Jay is a household name and as much as people will welcome your relationship, others will try to tear it down. So keep your head high."
That was good advice.

They sat there, in the coffee shop that was located in a township. The laughed at silly things. Talked about their childhoods, fantasies and crushes.
"If I had to date a celebrity who wasn't my race it would be... Maps Mapoonya!"- Jessica said as she blushed. "He's hot!"
Happy laughed, "Funny enough he looks a bit like Jay."
Jessica blushed guiltily earning a suspicious look from Happy. She widened her eyes as she realized, "That's the reason who had a crush on him!"
Jessica laughed, "I know, I know. The first time I saw Jay I really thought he was related to him." - she confessed. "What about you? Who would date?"
"Uhm... I don't know. I have always had a thing for rugby players. Okay let me see."- Happy thought for while and then she spoke, "Alex Oostezen"
"Really? I wouldn't have thought you'd like him."- she said, honestly surprised.
"He is like my forbidden fantasy and it came true in the form of Dylan"- she said as she bit down on her lip. Jessica laughed.
"Thinking about him makes me feel some type of way."
Jessica school her head, "don't tell me he is my brother."
Jessica knew most girl found Dylan attractive but for obvious reasons she really didn't see the fuss.
"Have you and Jay...?"- Happy's question trailed off. It took a while for Jessica to catch up and when she did it appalled.
"NO!"- Jessica was shocked that Happy would even think that. "We haven't even thought about that."
"Really?? I'm surprised Jay hasn't..."- Happy trailed off again but this time it was intentional.
"Hasn't what? Tried his luck?"- Jessica asked suddenly nervous. She hadn't thought about it. They kissed: a lot. But he never pressured her to do more and she believed he understood that she wasn't ready. Was she a being naive?
"Maybe he has changed!"- Happy said quickly. "But honestly, you must talk to him about this so that at least you know where he truly stands."
Jessica thought about the time she saw him with that girl at the tuck shop. How she'd touch Jay and she'd seen how he'd enjoyed it as he hadn't put a stop to it.
"I will!"- Jessica whispered. Suddenly feeling a bit insecure and that was something he didn't want. She knew a jealous woman would turn into a clingy one and the last thing she wanted to be was clingy. She would talk to him. She needed to for the sake of her sanity...