Chapter 27

It was getting dark and she'd been walking around for ages now. Finally, she was standing at her destination, well, at least a kilometer from it. Happy sighed, she was exhausted and the hardest part hadn't even come yet. She stood in front of a gate that protected a small suburban community, it looked liked a small resort. She didn't have to  examine it any farther she'd concluded from a 100 meters away that it was an all white community. The gate made it painfully obvious. She walked to a small security house next to the gate. She couldn't believe she'd gotten this far. She'd never even been to Johannesburg alone and now she was in Pretoria. The door of the small house opened and a man walked out.
"Dumela motho a moholo.'- she greeted. A part of her glad it was a black person.
"Dumela ausi."- he said cheerfully.
He was Sotho, she smiled, relief coursing down her spine.
"Ho na le motho o ke mo batlang mona."- she said. I'm looking for someone here.
He smiled and told her to come in. When she got inside there was a woman. Happy greeted her as well. She told them about Dylan and they understood. Of course she couldn't elaborate on their relationship farther as a sign of respect. She only said it was platonic. They told her that they couldn't let her in without him. Security measures had been put in place and only the members of the community could sign a person in at the gate. She tried to call Dylan but his phones was off.

So they offered her a chair and some coffee. She smiled and accepted. She charged her phone and listened to these two people, who turned out to be husband and wife talk about life. They were originally from Lesotho. They moved here because their son got a scholarship to WITS university in Johannesburg. They lived in Mamelodi, a huge township in Pretoria. She listened to them talk about their life together and son, Teboho. They liked her, she could tell. But then again she had been told by a lot of people that she was easily approachable and warm to be around. She listened to them and added a few things herself. They complimented her on her character.
"Ha le ntsebi mos."- she argued. You don't know me.
They smiled. They said she'd make the perfect wife for they son. Then she smiled. They didn't know her heart already belonged to another. Happy immediately checked her phone and decided to try Dylan one more time. But then there was a noise outside. The lady, who Happy had learned was Mrs Ralusi, walked out to check. But she'd said something about a young white couple coming back after a run. It was 7pm now and though it was light she was beginning to get scared. What if this was the wrong address?

"Dankie, Mevrou!"- said the two voices outside. Thank you ma'am.
"Okay, kinders"- Mrs Ralusi said politely.
She knew that voice. She looked through the window and that's when she saw her. The beautiful girl with a guy. She looked at him but couldn't register him properly. So as Mrs Ralusi was opening the gate for them she moved from her chair. Walked out the door and her heart jumped skipped a beat.

Dylan

She started walking toward them but stopped dead in her tracks when she saw them playing around embracing each other. They looked familiar with each other, very familiar... They were speaking in Afrikaans so she didn't hear most of their conversation. But looking at them she realized how normal this looked. She looked like an athlete. With her long legs and slim thighs. Happy was more of a Serena Williams. And she'd always been proud of her figure, she couldn't get her arms to be as tone as Serena's but she'd get there. Now she felt ashamed. Didn't white men prefer them like this? Maria Sharapova looking. Dylan decided to help Mrs Ralusi with the gate. She'd been trying to open it for a while now. Happy turned heading for the little house which was a meter away. Hoping not to get noticed.
It was done, she was done.
"O mo fomane?"- came a voice from behind her, Mrs Ralusi. Have you found him?
Shit!
She thought to herself.
"Happy?"- Dylan said, it sounded more like a question.
She turned and looked at him. The girl was standing next to him. They looked so perfect, she thought. It hurt her. She could feel her throat ache and her eyes were watery. She was going to cry. He started to slowly walk closer as if he couldn't believe it was her. She was so stupid for coming here and her mother would be so disappointed. Tears fell down her cheeks as she thought of her naivety. She turned without  answering him back. She headed for the house, quicker now. Dylan called for her but she kept walking. She got in said goodbye to the man and thanked him. She took her bag and walked out.

Outside he was coming toward her as she was leaving the house. He stopped walking. He thought she was going to stop for a conversation, she wasn't. She walked past him. And for a minute he just looked at her. She knew this because she didn't hear his footsteps behind her and she knew when it came to him, her sixth sense was always on alert.
Then she could hear him behind her.
"What are you doing here, Happy and how did you know where to find me?"
"It doesn't matter! I made a mistake."- she answered without stopping.
"What are you talking about?"- he growled, clearly confused.
"Go back to your life, Dylan. Forget I was ever here."
It hurt to even say it but she needed to be strong. She need to be the Happy that didn't take nonsense from anyone. The Happy that didn't cry so easily.
"Really? There's nothing between her and I! If she's the "life" you are referring to."
She didn't answer. She wouldn't because she had a lucid moment. She needed to get as far away from him as possible.
As she was walking he yanked her arm and turned her around. He was a bit rough. As She turned she collided with his chest.
"Talk to me Happy!"- he said, through gritted teeth.
She was breathing heavily. She'd been walking so fast that they were about 100 meters from the gate now. She just breathed. His scent filled her nostrils. The warmth of his body weakened her. He still held her arm. She tried to test his grip on it but failed to even shake him. He was so close to her it made her want to cry. She'd miss him. Miss his dry sense of humour. His Wikipedia moments. He was a nerd at heart. He just had a body that made her melt.
"Look at me!"- he commanded.
She shook her head. With his free hand he tilted her head. She had no choice but to look at him. The sun was setting now and the light colors did wonders to his eyes. How was she going to live without him?
"I made a mistake by coming here. I thought we could... We could make things work but we can't. We need to be with people that are good for us."- she told him.
His jaw clenched then. His eyes turning dark. He pulled her closer to him.
"Are you going to be with him...?"- he asked.
She knew who she was talking about. "Does it matter?"
"Yes, damn it!"- he growled "It matters."
"He is with Jessica, Dylan. So no. Plus he is my friend and I don't see him like that."
He seemed satisfied with that. Happy hated that she was so weak. She just wanted to weep and right now her eyes wouldn't stop shedding tears.
"It's late! I'm not letting you go!"
"I'll..."
"Happy! I'm not letting you go."
They both knew what he meant. Yes, it was getting dark making it dangerous for her to leave but there was more to that statement. She couldn't go through this again. She had to let this go. Before she ended up heartbroken.
Too late
A little voice in her head said, mockingly.
"Please.... Let me go!"- she said. " I won't let you take me anywhere!"
He smiled. A dangerous curve of his lips that made her heart skip a beat. And without warning he threw her over his shoulder. She started hitting at him.
"Stop!!!!!"
He just kept on walking. When he got to the gate he explained everything to the Ralusis and they let him in. She could hear their shock and was glad that she didn't see their facial expressions.The girl he was with... Well Happy could only see her feet. She laughed as she and Dylan went in opposite directions. She thought it was cute. What did the Ralusis think of her? She bet they thought she was bad news.

"They seem to like you a lot actually. But then again everyone likes you!"- Dylan said, as if this was nothing.
She realized she'd actually asked that question out loud.
"I hate you!"
"No you don't, Happy!"
"Why are you doing this?"- she asked desperately. "This is what you wanted isn't it?"
He stopped walking. "You can't just drop that on me and expect me to be like, "well okay." We need to talk it out first."
"I have nothing to say to you."- she said, defiantly.
He laughed and his whole body vibrated with it. It was the greatest piece of music she'd ever heard.
"I doubt that! You talk... A lot."
She did, Happy smiled as she acknowledged it. She never kept quiet.
"Where is this house? And put me down. I can walk just fine."
"No!"
"I'll just keep staring at your  ass then."
Which she enjoyed.
"I'll even show you a few tricks."- he teased.
"If you fart I swear I'll kill you."
And then he did it again. He laughed wholeheartedly and this time it was contagious. She couldn't help it, she laughed as well. So he walked to his house with her over his shoulder. They talked about his ass all the way there....
*******************************************************************************
Please vote and comment. ❤️❤️❤️
I Also have another book, Mending Malcolm's Heart. Please check it out.😁😁😁

Sleeping With The Enemyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें