Chapter 24

The view from the roof of Happy's house was refreshing. Jay hadn't been to the townships in a long time. And sitting here and looking out at the houses made him realize how much he'd missed it.

"So are you gonna tell me why your mood went from zero to hero?"- Happy asked him.

He hadn't talked to her about the whole thing. They actually hadn't spoken in a while. For the first time in his life he hadn't been able to talk to her about something that bothered him. Mainly because Happy herself was a virgin. She would have been offended by Jay's perspective. He understood why, after their conversation, Jessica had become silent the whole way home. The conversation had been awkward but still it had to be discussed. He'd looked at her and couldn't believe that she wasn't a virgin. She was innocence personified but she'd told him she wasn't one and he believed her. Jessica wouldn't lie.

"Nothing. I just had a tough week after the term tests. That's all."- he lied.

He didn't want to have to explain everything to her. He'd hated having to face the situation. Hell, even his friends were mad at him for putting Jess through it. The last thing he needed was Happy giving him hell as well.

"But you seem to not be here."- he noted, Turning the tables on her.

He'd walked in to her house and her mother had immediately told him to try his best to cheer Happy up. The older woman seemed to think Happy was going through something big.

"O ne a kwatile weekend kao fela. Di beke di fetele ai kwaletse ka kamoreng"
She was grumpy the whole weekend. And she spent the last few weeks in her bedroom.

She'd said to him.

Her mother had confused him. When he was going through his own issues Happy had seemed happy. The whole thing with Dylan had been working out for her not that he liked it. Dylan was like the oil to his water... They would never mix. And he was fine with that. But now was a different thing. Between Jessica being all defensive about her brother and Happy falling head over hills with this guy he had to at least act civil. Which was pretty hard considering that they'd both tried to kill each other and Jay wanted to punch him most of the time.

"What's wrong."

"Nothing."- she sighed. She moved up stiffly making sure to keep her balance in check. She looked at the horizon and back at him. Now her eyes were shimmering with tears. Now he knew something was wrong and who was responsible...

"It's him isn't it?"- he clenched his jaw. Hell, ever since he'd gotten into Happy's life she'd been crying and the thing about Happy was... she never cried.

She laughed cynically. "This time, it was me."

He pulled her closer to him. He hated seeing her troubled.

"What happened?"

She was silent for a while. Then she took in some air.

"I accused him of being with me to remedy the steam room incident." She looked down at her hands.  "I went off Jay. My insecurities got the best of me."

"It happens to the best of us."- he assured her.

"He didn't take it so well. He basically broke up with me."

"After a month...? Wow your relationship is doomed."

He looked at him. Clearly livid, "Don't enjoy this!"

Okay maybe he was a bit. He didn't exactly like the guy but now he was attached to Happy and their feeling were now directly proportional to each other's. If he was miserable Happy was miserable. And he couldn't take that.

"I'm sorry."- he said sincerely.

"Keya mo rata, Jabulani."- she whispered. I love him. She sounded shocked. And it shocked him as well.

"But it's so soon..."

She flinched at his words. "You can't tell me you don't love Jessica."

Love...?

That was too big a word to describe what they have. He didn't even think his parents loved each other. He cared deeply about Jessica and he had admitted to himself that she meant more to him than any other girl he's been with. But love...?

No!

"Jay...?"

"It's not that easy. I care about her, very much so but love is a big deal, Happy."- he was being truthful and Happy would understand.

She put a hand on his shoulder. "You love her. You just don't wanna admit it. And trust me my friend denial will always get in the way of you being truly happy and at peace."

He wasn't in denial.

The sun was beginning set and the warm colours brightened the sky making the view spectacular.

"I am going to get him back. I won't deny myself what could be my greatest love."

Jay couldn't help but raise any eyebrow.

"Look, if it doesn't last then I know I tried my best. It's better than wondering what it could have been like..."

They sat there staring at the sunset looking at the township view. They'd done this for years. The roof was like their heaven; their sanctuary. He'd bring Jessica here one day. Show her this. Share with her a part of him only a few people knew. Jay smiled and put his arm around Happy, she rested her head on his shoulder.

"You are gonna be okay."- he told her.

And so was he. Jessica was in his life and even though he didn't know how long it was going to last he would enjoy every minute it!