Chapter 13

The whole school knew. She and Dylan were in a relationship and everyone was talking about it. Happy wanted to scream because people couldn't stop staring at her. She'd walked from the parking lot to the quad and everyone whispered their opinions about her current relationship status.
"So is it true?"- one of her friends asked her. Lebo couldn't contain her excitement.
Happy didn't respond. "Happy is it true?"
More silence.
"I will scream it out if you don't answer me"- Lebo threatened. Happy glanced at her, "you wouldn't dare!"
Lebo took that as a challenge. They were standing in the middle of the quad.
"Keitumetse are you dating-"
Her hand moved fast and covered Lebo's mouth. Happy couldn't let her finish that sentence. "You fucking bitch!"
"Are you gonna tell me or not?- she smirked.
Happy glanced around," see what you did? Now everyone is staring... Again!"
"Arg! Let the stare."- she raised her middle finger in the air. Happy covered her eyes and laughed. She'd always be like this and maybe that's why they were so close. They balanced each other out. Lebo was care free, reckless and verbally liberated. Happy was more cautious in everything that she did.
"Yes!"
"Elaborate!"
"Yes, I am dating Dylan, Lebo."
Lebo just looked at her. This wasn't what she expected.
"Why aren't you surprised?"- Happy asked
She shrugged, "why should I be?"
"Because everyone seems to be!"
It annoyed her. Did they think she wasn't good enough for him?
"Well I am not. I am just Happy you are Happy!"- she told her cheerfully. "See what I did there?? I think I deserve a KA"
KA (fist pump) was their thing every time someone said something smart or intellectually funny they'd get a KA. And right now Lebo deserved it.
"KA!"
They both laughed.
"I like him Lebza. He just makes me wanna smile all the time. He's sweet and good looking. Gosh he is good looking. I never get tired of looking at him. She makes me laugh and I know what I am saying sounds cliche but it's the truth..."- she looked back at her friend and she was looking at her curiously. "It's how I feel"
"I can't believe it!"- Lebo said.
"What?"
"You are gonna get white dick before me!!!"
She couldn't help herself. Happy bursted into laughter. Tears even threatened to fall.

"I didn't realize it was a competition."- Happy was gonna say that but she didn't someone else did. They both looked up to find...
Jay.
"Oh...oh..."- that came from Lebo.

He was angry! No actually angry wasn't the word for it, livid.
"Were you ever gonna tell me?"- Jay asked.
"I think that is my Que. to go."- Lebo said. "Happy will see you during accounting" she looked at Jay "Jay!"
"Lebo"- Jay responded through gritted teeth.
Okay what was that? Happy thought to herself. The tension between Jay and Lebo was evident and couldn't help but wonder why. So she asked, "what was that?"
"Nothing. We aren't talking about me and Lebo here. I want to know if any of the things I heard are true."
"Well that depends."- Happy smiled, hoping to lighten up the mood.
"I am not in the mood for humour Happy, not now."- he warned.
He'd always had a temper Happy knew this.
She swallowed, "it's true"- she whispered.
She watched as he clenched jaw and balled his hands into fists.
"How could you do this Happy?"- he wanted to punch something so bad. When he first heard the rumors he didn't think much of it because he knew it wasn't true. Dylan and Happy didn't run in the same circles, he'd thought to himself. Then Jessica told him about not seeing Dylan for the whole weekend and that's where he suspected this whole thing might be true.
"Where you with during the weekend?"- Jay asked her. He needed to know.
"What?"- she gave asked, confused.
"You heard me!"
He watched her think her answer through and then she nodded. A wave disappointment washed over him. How could she?
"So you lied to me?."- it was a question but he phrased as statement.
"I didn't know how to tell you the truth. You were gonna freak and try to warn me of his ways, how his tried killing you and hurting me. I just wanted to be with him and not judge him on what he's done. It wouldn't have been fair."
He smiled but it didn't reach his eyes and he knew it it was what he wanted to show her.
"So it seemed fair to lie to me in order for you not to feel guilty for being with a man who has tried to kill me and hurt you?"- he asked. He was mocking her judgment. Wanted to show her how stupid she had been.
"When you put it like that..."
"It sounds ridiculously stupid."- he inserted. He saw her flinch. His words weren't taking any prisoners. "Why are you doing this? Is it because I have been spending a lot of time with Jess? Are you lonely? What is it Happy? What would make you want him?"
"You really are arrogant! Not everything is about you Jay. I like him can't that be enough? You are angry cause I chose him and it feels, to you, like I am getting back at you."- she told him.
He didn't say anything. She just studied her. Watched express herself. Gave her the platform to do so. And maybe she was right he had been selfish in his words. She didn't need a reason, that had to do with him, to like someone. But she'd lied.
The bell rang then and he picked up his bag. He was ready to leave her there but stopped.
"You are right! It was really wrong of me to think you were dating him to get even. Or that you were dating him for any other reason other than you liking him. But you lied Happy. I asked what you were doing on Saturday and you looked me the face and lied to me."-he felt betrayed.
"I didn't.."
"Yeah I get it. When I started dating Jess. You heard it from me! I didn't lie. What I didn't want to tell I told no one. I didn't lie Keitumetse."
The quad was empty. People had already walked to class.
"I...I.."- she was lost for words.
"And as for me judging him. I would have done so with any other guy because I care about you. Yeah, I don't particularly like Dylan..."
Happy raised an eyebrow. And his lips curled a bit.
"Fine! I don't like him but I would have accepted it. If he made you happy. Just like you have done with string of girls I have dated. I wish you'd had faith in me."- with that he left.
She looked around, found that she was alone on the quad and late for her first period. She wasn't phased but those things. She'd betrayed his trust...

She needed to find her friends. Break had already started, she was hungry and her friends were no were to be found. Sh looked around the corridors once more, nothing. She decided to walk to the tuck shop by herself. People were talking about the inter house event. The inter-house was athletic school event where the school's athletic competed against one another. Both spectators and athletes were separated into 3 groups. Athena, Demeter and Helios. She was in Demeter. She had to wear blue.
She hoped her friends were also in her team and Jay.
"Well, well, well. If it isn't little miss perfect."
Jessica glanced to her side and there she was. Lebo. She was Happy's friend and She and Jay had shared something. It ate at her because Lebo was beautiful and had an awesome body. Maybe "awesome" wasn't the correct adjective.
"Hello, Lebo,"- she tried to be polite.
"The white knows my name!"- she sneered. "You were looking for your boyfriend? Well, I know where he is. Louie there..."- she pointed somewhere and Jessica followed her finger. She saw Jay but she wasn't alone. Some girl was all over him and he was just letting her. She had a body to die for that's what Jessica saw first. She could see much of her face because she was whispering something in Jay's ear.
"Looks like he is missing some chocolate in his life."- she mocked her.
"I am not threatened."- her words lacks conviction. She wasn't sure if she believed herself. Lebo's lips came closer to her ear, "Honey look at those curves. I think you should be."
She looked at them. How good they looked together. He was laughing at something she said now and he said something back to her. She looked, stared and ogled. That's when she realized he was looking back at her. Something passed through them and she turned around and headed for the bathroom. She didn't trust her pokerface the moment Jay's eyes met hers. He'd be able to read her like a book. She got to the bathroom and picked the nearest stall and locked herself in it. She could imagine a time she'd thought she'd be in this situation, crying over something so stupid but she couldn't help herself. She didn't have walls because she'd never thought she'd need them. To her the world was too good, she was too good... Naive even. She has never been the clingy type but she had a feeling Jay would reduce her to such.
"Jessica, what did she say to you?"- he asked.
She didn't answer him. She didn't trust her voice to be strong enough.
"Jess, please... Don't let her do this to us. She wants to ruin what we have. She's just looking for a reaction."
She'd given it to her, Jessica thought to herself.
He sighed, heavily. He was frustrated. She decided to open the door of the stall and she found him standing in front of it. She has always worn her heart on her sleeve but right now it was there. It was in this Jays hands and she prayed that she'd made the right decision by giving it to him.
"I am sorry I overreacted."- she sniffed.
He closed the stalled space between her and cupped her head in his hands. He caressed her cheek. "Look at me."
"I don't want to. I look hideous."- she stated.
"Well, I want to look at you."
She gave in and looked at him. "Me and you."- he assured her.
She smiled then. She really smiled. "Bonnie and Clyde."- that was her line that always came after his.
"Well I prefer Clyde and Bonnie but I guess Bonnie and Clyde will do."
She laughed. "Wa phapha"
"Yeah but that's why you like me."- he stated arrogantly . "You are too pretty."
She bushed.
"I like it when you turn pink. Now let's get outta here before people get the wrong idea and Dylan decided he wants to avenge his sister's stolen Innocence. She laughed some more because that's what he made her do, laugh and be happy.
She looked at him, it doesn't get better than this, she thought to herself.

The picture that's given is a picture of Lebo.