Chapter 25

Her hormones were getting the best of her, again! She'd been looking at Dylan and she couldn't stop now. He was on the other side of the gym and boy was he a sight... She bit on her lower lip to let out her sexual frustration. She'd never been with a boy before, there were close encounters of course, but she hadn't gone all the way with anyone. She had a feeling she'd go all the way with Dylan. He caught her looking at him and his eyes were void of any kind of emotion. Back to reality, she thought silently. And right now the reality was, he wasn't talking to her. It had been 2 weeks, 3 days, 16 hours and 56 minutes since he last said a word to her. And she found herself replaying that moment in her head every single minute since then. She could have been matured about it. She could have been calm and rational. She could have been...
But she wasn't!
She almost tripped on the treadmill and that brought her back from her thoughts. She looked at her calories and sighed. She'd lost 250 and she still felt heavy...

"Hey!"
She looked beside her to find Jessica on the treadmill next to her.
"Hey!" - she tried putting on a sincere smile.
"Don't even pretend to be okay!"
She failed.
"I'm just sad. I can't stop thinking about your brother. And things haven't gotten any better since my last conversation with you."- she poured her heart out.
Jessica looked at her with that same look that everyone seemed to have when she spoke. They pitied her. Happy hated it. She despised it.
"He hasn't said a thing to me. He's been acting normal and just... Living, I guess."
"Great! So he's forgotten about me already." She said as she stopped her treadmill. She needed some fresh air.
"Maybe you should talk to him. He might cool down a bit once you apologize."- Jessica suggested.
"I'm afraid he'll tell me that it's really over. What if he want nothing to do with me..."
"Well I doubt that!"- Jessica said as she smiled, slyly. "He is checking you out."
Happy turned and found him staring at her bottom. His eyes were dark but not with anger. And gosh she missed that look! She missed him looking at her like she was the only thing he wanted. They connected then. And for a moment he looked at her like nothing was wrong. Like he was still hers and she was still his. Then she saw it the moment he saw this moment as a weakness. His eyes went cold and his body tensed. He walked passed them with his gym bag in hand. That's when she realized he was leaving.

"Go!"
Happy looked at Jessica and she said it again. "GO!"
She didn't think she just walked off the treadmill and headed for door and she followed him.

He wouldn't torture himself any further. Looking at Happy and not being able to be with her was just that... Torture! Every guy was looking at her in that gym. Why would she wear those tights to the gym. WHY!? He hated that she was drawing so much attention. He needed some time by himself so he'd asked his mother if he could go to the house in Pretoria for the weekend. He'd made up a lie about needing to come up with a new game plan and a change of scenery would help. He just needed space and time to remember what his life had been like before Happy. He had to get a grip on his emotions and concentrate on the provincial trials that were coming up. He got to the parking lot and unlocked his car. He carelessly threw his gym bag in the back of his truck. He walked around to the driver's door that's when he saw her...

He just stood there! Looked at her and said nothing. But she would take it! It was, after all, her insecurities that had caused rift between them.

"Hi!"- she said. Smiling despite her heart's rapid pounding.
"Hi!"
His voice almost killed her. He didn't care anymore, did he?
She panic and unconsciously took a step toward him. "Dylan please! I've been calling you! Y...you haven't returned my calls."
Silence
He looked angry and that's when she knew she needed to put her pride aside.
"Dylan please! I'm sorry. I just... I let my insecurities get the best of me."- she had her hands on his chest now. "I know I said mean things about you and your intentions but..." She'd been avoiding his eyes but at that moment she looked at him and tears burned at the back of her eyes. His eyes stayed on hers and then moved to her hands which were on his chest. Immediately embarrassed by displaying such desperation she removed them. She took a step back and tried to compose herself.
"Say something!"- she whispered. She sounded so weak even to her own ears.
"I have match on Thursday, Happy. I can't deal with this right now!"
She gasped at his words. "This?"
"Us!"- he gritted. "I just... I need time and space to really figure out what this is and what it'll cost me"- he told her truthfully.
"What does that mean?"- she asked, confusion blurring her thoughts.
"We have lost focus. Yes, our relationship amazing and I enjoy being with you, maybe too much. We fight... A lot. And we end up worrying about us more than anything or anyone else. We need to ask ourselves, this, us, is it worth it!"
There was silence because deep down Happy knew he might be right. They relationship tends to be a major distraction. She couldn't afford to have one.
"Sounds as if you've made a decision!"- she sounded bitter.
"No! I haven't. But I want you to think about. The media seems to be on us as well..."
"What?"
"The investigation that took place after the steam room incident caught a lot of media attention. The media did some digging and they are using us as some poster couple for the rainbow nation.
She hadn't seen this. She'd been too busy thinking about him and where they stood.
"The school let them do that...?"
He shrugged. "Probably."
The movement caught her eye. Damn he was gorgeous! He had the kind of looks that could kill. They'd killed her only to bring her back to life.
"Why didn't you tell me all this? You made run after like an idiot."
His eyes got dark and dangerous expression bmoving over his face. "I was mad!"
Was
So he wasn't anymore? She was happy.
He looked at his wrist watch, "I need to go!"
She just looked at him. He was brushing her off and as much as she deserved it there was only so much her heart could handle.
She nodded, "Have a safe trip!"

"What happened?"
Happy gasped. "You scared me!"
She'd been so far in her mind that she hadn't seen Jessica come out from her hiding place. Happy smiled, gosh Jess was so supportive. Even after she'd told her what she'd said to Dylan. Jessica hadn't judged her. She just sat with her, the way Jay did every time she needed a shoulder to cry on. Jay and Jess were the golden couple! It didn't make sense that people thought she and Dylan were picture perfect. They were from it.
"He left... I saw a traveling bag in his car so..."
"Oh, he's going to the house in Pretoria. Said something about needing space, I think."
"Is he going there alone?"- Happy asked.
"I think so."
"Right."- she had to force herself to sound okay but her voice trembled. "I'm gonna go. I need... I..."
Jessica gave her a hug and if she were anyone else she'd cry but she wasn't a crier. Her mother raised a warrior and warriors don't cry.
"I have the address of you want it."
"I don't know what I'd do with it."- she whispered. And that was the truth. She needed to think.
"Well, I'll text it to you anyway. Maybe you'll know what to do with it once you get home."- Jessica smiled as if she knew something she didn't.
They said their goodbyes and Happy headed to the showers to think. As she took a shower she had this weird feeling in the pit of her stomach. She felt like dying or maybe it was fear...? She didn't know but she didn't like it. After fixing herself up she walked to the taxi rank. The trip home was always relaxing. She could just stare out the window and forget her problems. And for while she did. Her phone chimed, a message from Jessica. She just looked at it.
When she got home everyone was at her aunt's house. They'd left her a note. After the emotional turmoil she'd been experiencing during the past weeks she needed a good nap.

She was packing. She didn't know why put she kept on packing. A part of her knew it was a dream yet she was so scared it was real. She didn't have the guts to go to Pretoria alone. She didn't have the guts to face Dylan. She took her card and put it in her boobs. Bags could easily be snapped in Johannesburg and Pretoria. The bag she packed wasn't big and that was good. Thieves always targeted travelers with huge bags. She was ready to leave. As she was about to lock the door she took one last glance at the note she'd left next to the one she found. May God be with me, she murmured to herself. Gosh how she wish this was true. She wished she had the courage to go to Pretoria and tell Dylan that she thought they were worth it. Tell him that she loved him and that she would let fear trump her love for him. But she knew better, in reality, she'd never do any of that. So she'd dream about it because that's all it could ever be... A dream.