Chapter Twenty-Six

*****

A month had passed. I was currently seven months pregnant, and it was in the middle of Winter. Alan hadn't been able to dance because of his surgery. Today, He and I were going in to visit with his physical therapist, Doctor Cassidy. He was nervous.

We were in the waiting area getting ready to be called back.

"Are you okay, Babe?" I asked.

"I-I don't know" He says.

"Whatever the doctor says, Just know that we will get through it" I say. He intertwine his fingers with mine "Together".

"Together".

"Alan Bersten?". We both stand up and follow Doctor Cassidy to her office. We sat down across from her. "So, How have you been feeling?".

"Worried" He answers. I take his hand in mine. "But, I took the time off for dancing lie you said too".

"Well, That's what I'd like to talk to you about today" She says. "I know you and Makinley both are competitive dancers, and pretty dang good ones too".

"But?" Alan says.

"I don't think it would be wise if you continued to dance". I see Alan's face go blank, and his eyes fill with tears.

"What?".

"Alan, I've seen the routines you do and with you just having a big neck surgery and breaking a few ribs, It wouldn't be a good decision to continue competing".

"Can I?" He asks. "You said it wouldn't be wise if I continued, but could I still do it?".

"If you want to become Paralyzed" She answers.

"So, I would become paralyzed if I continued?"..

"Yes" She says. "Alan, I hated to tell you this today because I know how much you're dancing career means to you, but
your life is more important than daning".

"I-I understand" Alan says. "Is that all you need me for today?".

"Yes, but-". Alan cut her off by shooting out of his chair and storming out the door.

"Alan!" I shout standing up.

"It's okay, Makinley. He needs time. He thinks I just ruined his life, but he'll be fine in a few days".

"Is there anything I can do for him to help?" I ask.

"Just be there for him" She says. "Maybe take him baby shopping" She says with a smile.

"Thank you" I say and smile back. I walk out to the car and see him waiting in the passenger seat. I got in the drivers seat.

"Babe?" I say.

"I-Im okay, Kinley. I promise" He says. His head was against the window.

"Were going on an adventure" I say and back out of the parking lot.

"What?".

"You always like to make me feel better when I'm sad, So now I'm making you feel better" I say.

"Where are we going?" He asks.

"You'll see" I say as I pulled onto a dirt road and up to the top of a hill that overlooked the entire city. "Remember this place?".

"Of course. I brought you here" He says.

"Sometimes it's good to escape" I say.

"Well, I definitely need to escape right now" He says. "Dancing is the only thing I've ever known. It was supposed to be my career and now it's gone. Just like that, it's gone".

"You can make a career out of something else" I say.

"Like what?" He asks.

"Music" I answer. "You love your music".

"That's...True" He says.

"Babe, Sometimes life throws obstacles at you, but it's not anything you won't be able to handle. You're strong and you can handle this".

"Will you be here to help me through it?" He asks.

"Of course" I answer. "I'll always be here".

"You've always made me feel safe" He says.

"Really?".

"You're my safe place, Kinley. When I'm with you nothing else matters, and I know everything will be okay. You make everything okay".

"I-Im nothing special" I say.

"No. You are. You're so special and I love you so much. I never thought I'd love anyone the way I love you and the way I love our son" He says.

"I love you too" I say. "I think I'm always going too".

"I hope so" He says and flashes his perfect smile at me. My heart always fluttered whenever he smiled. "Kinley?".

"Yeah?".

"I know we're young, but I know how I feel, and I think you feel the same way. I want you to know that I  truly do want to spend the rest of my life with you" He says.

"Alan-".

"No, I'm not going to propose" He says.

"Oh".

"Not yet" He says. "But I plan on doing it one day because I want to be a family. I want You, Me, and Amaro to be a family".

"I want that too" I say. "But, Let's get through senior year first".

"We will" He says.

"We'll be there for each other through it all because that's hat families do, and that's what we're going to be" I say.

"Yes it is" He says. "Were going to be a family...Forever".

"Forever" I say and kiss his lips softly. I knew he was serious about everything. I knew that one day we would be a family.