xxiii. king gwangjong and queen chu

I was once Chu Eunsol, a high school student who loved History above Chinese studies. I had a best friend named Bora and a mother left at home. 

But all that seemed so far away as I put on a silky white hanbok. The maids  helped me tie my hair up and put make up on my face. They showed me all the gold ornaments that could be worn and I had selected a fair few that would go well on me. But they all felt so heavy to wear. But as I take a look in my reflection on the copper mirror, I looked much more like Queen Chu than a Lady Chu. 

"I never thought I'd see this day, my lady." Ji-ae says. We both had smiles on our faces. Back then, she only found me lying half dead on the garden. But now, here I am, getting married. 

"Lady Oh would have loved it if she was here to witness this as well." Ji-ae mentions. The thought of Lady Oh and King Taejo witnessing my wedding would be the best of all I could ask for. But no, my wedding would have to be attended by Queen Hwangbo and the other princes and princesses. Queen Yoo refuses to attend and uses the "tell them I'm not feeling well" excuse on us. 

"Eunhaaaaa!" A male's voice called me. I turned around and found a smiley faced Eun running towards me. Beside him was Soon Deok in a red and black hanbok. 

"Eunha! I would like to send my deepest congratulations to you and hyung. Please tell hyung to smile more often!" Eun wishes, he still had that smile on his face. I wish I would be able to see it more often, but as Queen Chu, I would have to be with So more often and attend duties that would seem very tiring to me. 

"As gifts to our new Queen!" Soon Deok smiled and held out her hands that were carrying a box that was neatly wrapped in red and gold wrapping. I smiled and mumbled a thank you before placing it besides me. 

The ceremony held outside of the Palace and it was attended by a few people we only wished to be attended. As a drinking started, I noticed that I saw someone in white whose hair flowed down behind her. I haven't seen that face before here. Slowly, I got up and followed to where she went. Following her seemed endless, but I never lost my sight of her. Until I realized that she leaded me to Damiwon. And from the corners of my eye, she entered into Lady Oh's room, closing the doors behind her.

I quickly entered, thinking that she might steal of anything that belongs to her. But as I opened the wooden, sliding door. My feet suddenly planted on the ground and my eyes widened in surprise. 

"I never would have imagined to come to your wedding." Lady Oh smiled at me, sitting behind her desk, a smile planting on my face. 

"L-lady...Oh, I-" I couldn't find the words that I wanted to say, but tears dropped down from my face. 

"Don't think I have left already, but watching you from above, made me happy. Please be happy with His Highness." She bids. 

She stood up and walked past by me. I turned to look around, but she was no more in sight. 

"Eunha?" So's voice came as he entered through the door I entered earlier, behind him was Baek Ah. 

"Why did you leave suddenly? You scared all of us there." He says, his eyes piercing through mine. 

I mustered up a courage to smile at him but he lifted his hands up and wiped away the tears that had been sliding down my face. 

"Let's just go back to the ceremony, okay?" He smiled. I nodded. And we went back. 

✿ ✿ ✿ 

On a warm autumn afternoon, I was carrying a basket that was filled with foods and climbed up the hill. Seeing the yellow, orange and red trees warmed up my heart, but snow would fall down again soon. 

Upon reaching the top of the hill, I smiled and watched So carrying a small boy in his arms. I called out to them as afternoon snacks for three people to eat is ready. 

{ This book is about to end ; - ; } - a/n