Part Three || 39 ~ (I)

Start from the beginning

        That sounded like Darian, and I wished he wasn't being an idiot so I could see him.

        "But, I defended you, anyway." Clay grinned. "Now, I'm defending him." His expression grew serious. "Give the guy a break. Even though I didn't say this while I was talking to him, there has to be a reason Darian did what he did. Darian is one unpredictable guy, but he has his reasons. Find it."

        I ran my fingers through my hair again. All this messing with my hair wasn't going to cut it because it was messing with my hairdo. I hardly ran my fingers through my hair for that very reason. I only did so when stressed, and I was stressed. Because of Darian. He had a tendency to stress me out. If I ended up having premature gray hairs because of that fool, I was going to kick his ass.

        But I still wouldn't regret knowing him enough to get stressed out by him and his goon ways.

        "Arya is a relationship terminator," Clay reminded, removing me from my daze. "Watch out for her." All joking matters was gone from Clay's expression. "She tried messing things up for me and Alissa. We fought to not let it happen. You and Darian need to fight, too. The girl is a fucking black widow for relationships."

        I couldn't agree more. I initially thought Darian was the black widow, but Arya may have been stealing that title from him.

        Clay grabbed the remote to turn on the TV right as my phone beeped.

It wasn't

It wasn't. It would be nice for Darian to take me to group therapy, and we could talk. We were in a relationship, and we were grown. No more avoiding each other when conflicts arose. We had to face them.

        A quarter past three, Darian stood at my door with a nervous look.

       "Can I come in?" His eyes remained cast down, and I frowned.

        "Look at me first," I said, and his gaze cautiously met mine, but the anxiety remained in them. "Okay, bye now."

        I moved to close the door, and Darian gaped at me. I smiled.

        "I'm kidding," I said, and he relaxed with a sigh. I stepped aside. "Come in." Before he could walk to the couch, I said, "Shoes."

        "Oh!" He quickly flung his shoes off near the door. "Sorry." He rubbed the back of his neck, not looking at me again.

        I crossed my arms, watching him. Since when did Darian get so nervous? My expression softened as my arms dropped. That meant he was "sorry." Now, all he had to do was say it.

        "I'm sorry, Kenji," Darian said, holding eye contact with me.

        There it was. About damn time. Even though the joy in me was undeniable, I refused to show it on my face, so I maintained my stoic expression.