The Self-Restraint

Maya's POVI walked into History with Kyle's words still in my mind

Maya's POV
I walked into History with Kyle's words still in my mind. Whatever we were learning today Riley would have to learn it. I couldn't protect her. She had to live for herself. "Don't take her oxygen; don't take her oxygen" I whispered repeatedly to myself. "Taking Kyle's words to heart I see." Lucas commented, wrapping his arm around me. I leaned my head on him and we headed into class. Kyle nodded up to us as we entered and we nodded back. Last night we found out that he was in all of Lucas's classes except Geometry because he had learned tenth grade material last year instead of ninth grade. He was such an interesting person. We took our seats and looked up for Matthews to begin. "We'd like to think that ignorance is bliss. That as long as it doesn't happen to us it is a nonexistent problem. But if we continue to think this way then what will happen when it is us? Who will care? Who will turn around and pretend like nothing happened? The age old question of who will speak if you don't; don't let it be answered. Your essays this unit will not about your views because I would hope that they are all the same. This unit I want you to think of solutions to the forced labor problem. How can we be less ignorant? How can we make it stop? Think long and hard about real answers to this question and make your final essay a good one. Tomorrow we will look at work camps and incidents that happen so that all of you might see what happens when you decide to turn the other way." "Maya." Riley whined. I looked over at Kyle who nodded; seeming to understand my unspoken question. I squeezed Riley's hand. "You got this." I told her and got up to go work with Smackle. "Wow." Smackle breathed. "Wow." I agreed. "So how do we stop this?" She asked. "Well where do the crops go after the camps?" I started. "To the grocery companies." "Do they know about the problems?" "Well they claim boy to but they're just looking for the cheapest things that they can get. Worker safety is definitely not a priority." "This can't just be with vegetable farms though, right?" I questioned. "Right," she replied, "a Children's Place Factory burned down a little while ago with a whole bunch of workers inside. It's definitely rare to find a manufacturer who actually gives a shit about their workers. All they care about is money. That's all anyone cares about in this world." "Ok so let's start with an ad for our presentation piece." She nodded, "that brings out the evil in money and addresses these issues." Just then the bell rang. "Talk about prostitution tomorrow?" Smackle requested. I nodded with a bit of a laugh. "Prostitution tomorrow."

Smackle's POV
"Hola Mamasita." Charlie greeted. "Oh god not this again." I pleaded. "You know you like it sweetheart" he whispered cockily and seductively in my ear. I laughed a little "maybe I do." I whispered back. He sat on the stool. And grabbed the baby. "Not in front of April!" He condemned, I giggled and rocked the baby doll in my arms. "Oh look," Charlie commented, "my two little baby dolls." "Ha ha very funny." I replied; placing the baby back on the table.

Maya's POV
"Maya i found you a husband." I looked at my science teacher in slight disturbance. "What?" "One of you classmates' partners is ill and will not be back for the remainder of the project. So I decided that instead of having to singles I would put you and your babies together! So meet your new partner: Kyle Stevenson." "We have twins!" He greeted. With his baby sitting on his arms. He put his baby down on the table next to mine and stood with me on the opposite side of the table from our teacher. "You kids have fun!" "Ok i have no clue what to do now." Kyle confesses. "Me either. You'd think that he'd at least say something like. "Your old points will be combined." Or something." "You would think." He agreed. "So what do you want to do now?" "I don't know. We could just meet up after school with our kids and work on our drama project." "Sounds good"

A/N::: Im sorry my writing is getting sucky! I was scrolling through this to find good gifs and I saw the line "I found you a husband" and I was so shocked and then I was like wait no I wrote this I remember now! Hope you liked it! Love you all! Sincerely, Me, Xoxo -Emma

Song-"Giants" by Now, Now