Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

This heart to heart with Ameika had me wishing desperately that my grandmother was here. I wish she had been the one I could tell everything to. She was taken from me too soon. Not when I had time to appreciate her.

Ameika spoke again, effectively snapping me back to reality.

"Here." she reached around, to her backpack and pulled out a pen. She scribbled down her number on a torn piece of paper and handed it to me. "Try and message me okay?"

"I will."

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" a guard barked, rounding the corner. He shoved me away from her and white hot anger pulsated through my veins. I turned, elbowing him in the face. He slammed me back against the wall. Barring my teeth, I was prepared to put up a fight. My eyes flickered to Chloe and I turned rigid when I saw her wide eyes. Round and fearful.  She didn't know me like this. She didn't understand this side of me. Suddenly, I felt self-conscious at who I had become. The anger fizzled and my body sagged against the wall.

Once realising I was no longer a threat, he turned and placed a gentle hand on Chloe. "Come on, the tour is this way."

He dragged her away and she looked back at me. I stared after her sadly. My head hung and I turned. May as well embrace the tidal surge of emotions that were sure to drown me later. However, before I had the chance to, something else got in my way.

You've got to be kidding me.

Firstly, I have a run in with my ex-boyfriend and my kind-of-maybe new boyfriend saw it.

Now, I just have a heart to heart with my ex-best friend and my kind-of-maybe new best friend saw it.

Was the universe trying to tell me something? Or snatch away the one moment of happiness that I have felt within the last year?

"Took you two seconds to see her, to tell her everything. Yet you've never, once, even hinted at your past with me? Gee. Thanks."

She turned and stormed from me, a flash back of Colin doing the same thing, slammed into my head, reminding me of the trouble I was going to be in with him. Suddenly, I felt drained. This was too much drama to deal with on a Tuesday morning.

"I've known her my whole life. I've only known you a couple of weeks." my voice was low and level, but I knew she would hear me. She came to a halt, turning around. Her cheeks were flushed red from frustration.

"I have been here, for you, when no one else has."

Not true, Colin has a couple of times.

"I don't think I'm really in the mental state to deal with this right now." I sighed, exhaustion sweeping into my bones. I swayed, feeling the need to lean on a wall.

"Oh sure, pencil me when whenever you find the time for me." she spat.

Once again, she took off from me. I sagged onto my knees and pounded the floor with my fist. A scream of frustration tore from my lips.

Why does everything in my life have to be so complicated?

<><><><><><><>

It had been three days of torture.

Okay, so I may be over exaggerating slightly, but not talking to Colin was horrible. He avoided me like the plague and it made me sick to my stomach. Ever since the whole Gabe thing, it had felt like every time Colin turned the other way when he saw me in the hall, a knife was being dug deeper into my stomach.

So, when I heard Colin was planning on going home for the weekend, I ambushed it. With my own bags packed, I waited in near the front doors for him to come down. When he spotted me, a scowl spread across his face.