Chapter Nine : Yeah, It Was All A Lie

Sriti Nanda

Sriti Nanda.

After all that's happened, I changed into my nightdress and sat in the garden stargazing. Mom . . . I miss you. If my Mom was here, she'd be so proud of her daughter. That daughter who fought all the evils just so she could protect her friend's heart from any damage. That daughter who made her father proud of taking up his responsibilities and handling them properly.

I then felt a hand on my shoulder. He came and sat beside me, stargazing. No words exchanged. Only the comfortable silence. The cool breeze caressing my skin. "I miss Mom, Varun. I miss Aunty and Uncle. If they were here, they'd be so happy." I slowly whispered audible enough for him to hear. "I miss them, too." Varun said after sighing sadly. I looked at him and pain was all I could see. I hugged him and I could hear his heartbeats. No words exchanged, only us in each other's embrace, listening our heartbeats.

"Hey, Sriti, umm, you know I'm sorry. I was kinda rude-" He started but I cut him off. "Oh boy, cut it okay? From when did you start apologising to me for being rude, eh?" I questioned narrowing my eyes to which he chuckled slowly. "So, umm, we are okay right? I mean back to normal?" He questioned. Normal? "Normal in the sense?" I questioned confused. What does he mean?

"Normal means we're back to being friends, right? I know we're married and all, but can we just be friends forever? I-I don't want to be in a relationship which involves serious feelings. I'm not ready, Sriti. I can't do it. Please?" He requested with pleading eyes. I could sense he was in pain. "Varun, we can be friends, but-but one day people will ask for an heir. What will you do, then?" I questioned after taking a deep breath. I know it was harsh, but it's reality.

"You know right, we both will live under the same roof in the same room. So ain't it obvious, that we'll get attracted to each other physically? We can have babies, Sriti. I'm not opposing for that. But love and all, please, I can't. Let's just be friends. Best friends." His answer broke my heart. Friends, again? Can't I ever be something more than just best friends to him?

I stayed silent. Maybe, just maybe, he'll love me later. I mean when he can get attracted to me, he can obviously love me. I'll do everything I can to prove my love for him. Even though we'll just stay friends, he'll atleast be mine. Guess what, I've to adjust with that only, maybe?

"Okay, Varun. We'll be friends forever." I gave him sad smile. Hope for the best. "Oh my God. Thank you, sweetheart. I love you, girl." He said wrapping his arms around me. "Yuck, Varun! Don't call me sweetheart. It's so girly!" I shouted hugging him back and he laughed. "So?" I questioned after breaking the hug and placing my head on his shoulder. "So, tell me, why did you marry me in the first place?" He questioned, placing his hands on my waist and I sighed again.

"Kaira challenged me saying that she'll accept the truth if I marry you. I just wanted her to tell you everything and apologise. So I had to force to marry me. I'm sorry for that, though." I said slowly afraid that he might get angry. "Oh, Sriti, don't be sorry. I can never get an understanding wife like you, man." He said kissing my forehead. "You still angry on Kaira?" I questioned him, hoping he'd say no. "Nah. I'm not angry on anyone. I told right I forgive her. I really do. It's just I need time to process stuff and get back to being normal." He said looking up at the sky and I got super excited.

"God, Varun, boy, I love you so much, man!" I shouted and kissed his cheeks to which he giggled like a girl. "So, you don't exactly love me, right? I mean you said you're obsessed and all, so that's all a lie, right?" He questioned and my face paled. "Uh-huh, yeah-yeah, it's all a l-lie." I said looking down at my fingers. Why is it so hard to pretend like I don't love him? I've being doing it ever since I realised my feelings for him. But why do I feel so bad?

"Okay, cutie pie." He said and I made a disgusting face at his stupid, girly endearments. "Here goes that girly Varun, for y'all. Disgusting, man!" I said throwing my hands up in the air and he laughed again. I'll die hundred deaths for that melodious laughter, boy, I'm so whipped.

-----

Kaira Krishnan.

I was looking up, at the sky, standing in Vivaan's room, which is mine too. I missed my parents. Before going to the party, I never thought I'll actually cry for Varun. I never thought I'd regret my actions as my as I did today.

Today, at the party, after seeing Varun's eyes, the pain and loneliness they held in them, I just couldn't help but break down. That exact moment I realised that I needed my friends. Though I and Sriti fought and she even slapped me, what she did and said was correct. I couldn't hate her. Even Vivaan wanted me to apologise. He was initially upset with me but after he came to know how much I repented my actions he encouraged me and comforted me. I'm grateful to have such a great spouse.

Vivaan walked out of the washroom, in just his sweatpants. It was his habit of not wearing any shirt at night. It's not like I'm complaining. He came towards me and back back hugged me. His hands held my waist in a firm grip and I placed my hands on his, leaning back to rest my head on his shoulder. "What's my baby thinking about?" He whisper kissing my neck to which I let out a moan.

"Vivaan, I miss my parents. I wish they were here with me. I-I miss my friends. I wish Varun had accepted me, though I don't deserve it."  I said in a weak tone. "Darling, I know you're upset for your parents but tell me if they were here and saw that their baby girl is weak, would they be proud of you? No right? Baby, they always reside in your heart. Be what they wanted you to be. Make them proud. I'm sure they're watching us and will surely be proud of you." He said placing a kiss on my cheek from back and I nodded my head slowly. Then he turned me around and pulled me closer.

"About Varun, I feel he actually forgave you and he just needs some time to get comfortable around you and accept you. Sriti is such a sweetheart. She too forgave you, right? Now if you really miss them, we can go visit them when you're free. Okay? Now please cheer up and smile, baby girl?" He said cupping my face and I flashed him a genuine smile of mine. Oh, Vivaan, how much I love you!

"Thank you, Vivaan." I whispered and looked down at my hands with were on his chest. "Okay, now, this handsome Vivaan wants a kiss from his darling fiancée!" He announced before placing his lips on mine. I kissed him back with the same passion and he let me take the lead. I savoured every inch of his mouth and pulled him more closer with my hands in his hair. He held my waist tightly and pinched me, earning a loud moan from me. And that was the moment I realised that, living without this man in my life is impossible.