Chapter Thirty Six

Start from the beginning

"Don't worry about it too much, he's a Collins, he's strong."

"He's your father's father?"

"Oh yeah," Blade says staring at the photos on the wall.

"How comes I've never heard you talk about your dad, or I've never seen him?"

He shrugged.

"Well, you never asked before."

"We've never had a decent conversation until now," I point out.

"He travels," Blade replies simply and pointed to a photo on the wall of a handsome man smiling at the camera standing between his father and the late Mrs Collins.

I caught Blade staring at me and he looked away as soon as I stared back at him.

"I hope you I didn't disappoint you," he says running his fingers through his hair.

"How would you have?"

"Probably expected something else," he replies not meeting my eye.

"This is actually amazing" I respond with every bit of honesty, "do you visit a lot?"

"Once or twice weekly if I can that is."

"Do his other grandchildren visit often?" I ask inquisitively.

"No just me," he responds a bit embarrassed and it caused my heart to swole a teeny tiny bit.

Who would have thought Blade had a heart?

I was about to smirk when I noticed he was staring at a photo and I followed his gaze. It was a picture on the top left corner which showed a younger Mr Collins senior, standing next to a Mustang. My heart gave a small jolt. It looked surprisingly familiar to the one Blade owns.

"That's your car?" I ask softly and Blade looked from the photo to me.

"Ah, yeah," he replies scratching his head, "he gave it to me."

Suddenly I felt crappy.

"Taught me everything I needed to know about cars," Blade says glossing over my earlier question.

I didn't know how to reply and Blade did me a favour and continued talking.

"He's pretty cool too," he adds, "used to be a race car driver when he was younger, has a few cracked ribs but that doesn't keep a Collins down of course."

Hearing Blade talk, it was clear his granddad was his role model and I could see why. Great now I felt three times as crappier than before.

"He has a rather small collection," Blake continued, "he's a lover of vintage cars, has another two around back, but they need fixing and I've started fixing up one."

"What are you going to do with it when you're done?" I finally ask.

"Um, keep it I guess, he says it's mine anyways. I was thinking of maybe fixing it up so Max could have it when he's older," Blade trails off softly at the end.

I didn't think he said anything wrong that was actually nice of him, thinking about his brother.

"What sort of stuff do here, I mean when you visit?"

"Ah," Blade says scratching his head, "mostly just hang out with him, fix stuff or just listening to him reliving his glory days as a driver."

"That sounds awesome," I smile and Mr Collins came around the corner just in time with a smile of his own plastered on his aged face.

"Hey son," he says, "why don't you whip us up something, the pretty lady must be hungry, I know I am." Mr Collins joked and Blade ears turned red.