32. Before

Hey guys! I usually try to avoid author's notes but I'm going to make an exception for this chapter for a couple of reasons! First, check out the amazing cover @burningbrightishly made for The Kidnapper's Wife! I decided to put it in this chapter ...

Hey guys! I usually try to avoid author's notes but I'm going to make an exception for this chapter for a couple of reasons! First, check out the amazing cover @burningbrightishly made for The Kidnapper's Wife! I decided to put it in this chapter because it reminds me of 'Before' Jade and Connor, something from their engagement shoot maybe =). @burningbrightishly is the author of Audacious, another mystery/thriller with a female protagonist that I've been enjoying. You should all check it out!

The other thing I wanted to say is that I know I've been slacking on both updates and replying to comments. My last exam is tonight (wish me luck!) so I'm hoping to get much better after that! But know that I'm reading all your comments and every single one of them makes my day! Also, to make up for missing an update on Tuesday, I'm updating twice today! Hope you guys enjoy! =)

<3 Morgan

________________________________________________

"I can't believe out of all the magnificent cities in this country, you chose downtown Frederick as the place to be for your bachelorette party," Cara grumbles, her hands gripping the steering wheel harder in frustration as she speaks.

"Oh Cara" I laugh, "I didn't want to make everyone pay a ton of money to travel! Plus we know downtown Frederick, we know how to make it fun!"

"Yeah we know it alright," Cara's still grouchy, "That's the problem."

As we pull up to the fancy hotel my sister insisted on us staying in if we were going out in Frederick, I see Elizabeth on the large wraparound porch, waving. The hotel is a giant place, although it looks more like a house than a hotel building from the outside. It's only 9am, but the place has a spa and we're spending the day in lounging in the three mineral pools, steam room, sauna, and aromatherapy rooms before getting massages in the mid afternoon.

An hour later, I'm on a lounge chair in a white bathrobe, some sort of "healthy" cocktail in my hand.

"Alright Jade, what gives?" Ariana, my best friend from law school is staring at me quizzically.

"Huh?"

"It's sunny and 85 degrees outside and you're still wrapped in a bathrobe like this is the north pole. Get some sun girl!"

"I'm cold!" I protest, knowing how strange it sounds, although it's the truth.

"Get up." Ariana doesn't waste any breath at my absurd excuse.

I stand up, reluctantly. Ariana pulls the robe off me and drags me by the hand into the steaming hot tub.

"And that," she turns in front of me, waving her hand for added emphasis, "Is the end of that excuse."

I giggle, "You got me there!" an involuntary sigh escapes me as I settle back against a jet. By now, my two best friends from high school, Clementine and Gabby, have joined us in the steam as well.