24. Before

I always used to say my favorite season was winter. Like most kids, I always loved snow, but unlike many kids, my love for the most frozen of elements continued out of my childhood and into adulthood. It's not that I don't love the other seasons, it's just that winter wins out. I love autumn, saturated with warm colors, sweaters, bonfires, boots, and the giddy feeling throughout the air that the holidays are approaching. The longing for spring at the end of a long winter, on the first day you can wear short sleeves outside will always be enticing. And of course, being a classic beach bum, summer has endless fun to offer up. But it's always been winter that's held the largest share in my heart.

On this particular December Saturday, Connor and I are very much the epitome of winter, participating in a ski trip with my family. Waking up in a bedroom with a fireplace already crackling with flames, watching the large, fat snowflakes encompass the wooded backyard of the cabin through the window, sipping hot chocolate Connor brought me in bed, I don't know if I've ever felt so cozy.

"Better get moving Ms. Lazy!" Connor calls to me from the bathroom, "We're going to miss out on all the good powder!"

In the background of the house, I can hear Abby giggling downstairs, something she hasn't stopped doing with her friend Emma since our arrival at the cabin last night. I can also hear the clanging of pots and pans, no doubt indicating the imminent appearance of my mother's famous cinnamon rolls.

"But we have all week to ski!" I whine to Connor, "Don't you want to relax a bit this morning?"

"Relax!?" Connor's voice is incredulous, "We didn't come here to relax, we came to adventure!"

Connor appears in the bathroom doorway, already halfway into his ski clothes. "Don't even think about bailing, you can't leave me alone with Elizabeth and Paul all morning." He looks at me seriously, although his tone is joking.

I laugh, and then pout. "I can't go anywhere until I get a cinnamon roll. I've been waiting weeks for those things."

"You do have me pretty excited about these things," Connor considers, his gaze shifting from me to the window, "Alright, but after breakfast we hit the slopes!"

"Deal!" I settle back into my pillow as he disappears again into the bathroom.

After a delicious breakfast, Connor carries our skis out to the shuttle stop. Even though we come skiing here at Snowshoe every year, I'm still very much a beginner skier, and insist on taking a lesson. As Connor descends upon the mountain with Elizabeth and Paul, Elizabeth's latest romantic conquest, I find myself facing the lesson instructor with Abby and Emma beside me.

"Have you ever skied before?" the instructor looks to be about 18, and his tone oozes forced friendliness.

"A few times. But I'm a beginner." I tell him firmly.

He eyes me up and down doubtfully, "You'd be surprised at how much you'll remember."

"Yes," my smile at him is strained, "But I want to be put in the beginner lesson." I'm aware my voice sounds slightly frantic, but I still have memories of falling off the exit of the ski lift last year and turning bright red as they stopped the entire circuit for me to detangle myself.

After he places Abby and Emma in the intermediate lesson, I spend the morning unfairly comparing myself to all of the newbie's in my group, congratulating myself on picking up the skills before them even though I have obviously done this before and they have not.

At one point during my lesson, I catch sight of Paul and Elizabeth on the ski lift. Connor sits behind them, next to a girl who looks about 15, engaged in friendly conversation with her. There are two girls in the seat behind them who look about her age, and from the way they are gesturing suggestively at her and Connor, must be her friends. I smile at the site of the star-struck girls, still wondering how I got so lucky to have such an attractive boyfriend.

After my lesson is over, I meet up with Connor and the rest of the group for lunch, sitting by the window of a cozy grey stone grill restaurant, sipping spiked hot cider and making plans for the hot tub at the cabin later that evening.

I'm pretty surprised when my mother and father show up at the end of lunch, in full ski gear, announcing their intent to also ski. "You guys haven't skied in years!" I exclaim in surprise, "I mean the last time I saw you guys on the slopes must have been like, what...5 years ago?"

"We're feeling more athletic this year" my mom grins at me, "Plus we were getting a little bored in the cabin all alone all day!"

Still shocked, I have to admit they haven't lost their skills in their years off, in fact, as we slide down a green hill, I'm fairly certain they're still better than I am.

When we reach the bottom we wait in line for the ski lift, and everyone has broad, almost excited smiles on their faces. It's a three person lift so my parents get on with Abby in front of Connor and I, and my sister and Paul get on with Emma behind us.

"So nice to be able to stretch out!" I tease Abby, who, along with my parents, is turned around to look at Connor and I from the seat in front of us.

Suddenly, I am aware of Connor clearing his throat, when I look over, my mouth drops open at the sight of a giant diamond ring in his hand.

"Jade," he speaks loudly, so my family can hear, "I know this is a little different, since I can't quite get down on one knee up here, but I wanted to surprise you in one of your favorite places, with all of your favorite people here to make it special." He pauses, looking down at the ring nervously, "I have never felt about anyone I have ever met, the way that I feel about you. You have quickly become the very best thing about my life, and I cannot imagine being without you. I love absolutely everything about you, and I am hoping that you will do me the honor of spending the rest of your life with me."

Connor stares into my eyes, his own baby blues full of emotion.

"Jade Allessia Patterson, will you marry me?"

I feel tears slipping down my cheeks as I nod fervently, "Yes, YES, of course I will!" I'm shaking as we share a long kiss and my family cheers around us. Connor planned the perfect proposal, he knew exactly how to incorporate all of my favorite things in life.

As we slide off the ski lift, hand in hand, I just want to freeze this moment forever.