Chapter 13

I opened my eyes only to see that Nick wasn't in bed with me. His side of the bed was cold. I rolled over and got out of bed. Going to the window I seen Nick out on the lawn doing flips and punches. Throwing on a robe, I walked outside and stood on the patio.

"Nick, what are you doing?" I asked

"I have to get ready." Nick said

"We'll be ready. They haven't moved yet. I've been tracking them."

Nick stopped and looked down at the ground before looking back at me.

"I failed you." Nick said

"What do you mean?" I asked

"I couldn't protect you. Clay couldn't protect Philip and Sebastian either."

"Philip and Sebastian is alive because Clay was there. He tried his best. The fact that Philip and Sebastian are involved in any of this is mine and Elena's fault, not yours or Clays. And you didn't fail me. You saved me. I know everything. Why you bit me. Why Clay bit Elena. All the reasons you couldn't explain why. You knew I had to trust Jeremy, or I wouldn't survive in the world on my own. You sacrificed our love for my life. No more sacrifices. We have pups who need us. I love you, Nick. I'll always love you."

Nick walked over and kissed me on the lips. I smiled at him gently before pulling him into the house only to run into Jeremy.

"I need your help." Jeremy said

"Alright." I said

Nick and I followed Jeremy down to the cellar where there was a bunch of wood logs sitting in the chute.

"Put the logs under that shaft." Jeremy said

I knew why we was doing this. This was where our records were. And to keep them out of unwanted hands, I knew what Jeremy was willing to sacrifice.

"Seems a waste. All this history, torched if we go down." Nick said

"It's for all of our safety, Nick. If the battle starts to swing their way, the last one of us comes back to Stonehaven and throws a flame down that shaft." Jeremy said

"The Mutts might be stupid, but they know better than to turn this room over to humans. I mean, every name is in here, accounted for. It's basically a bounty list."

"It's not just the humans I'm worried about. It's the Mutts too. There are secrets down here. Secrets passed from Alpha to Alpha. If they were to fall into the wrong hands."

"I'll get the kerosene." I said

I walked out of the cellular grabbed the kerosene before walking back down to the cellular and poured it all over the logs. We went upstairs and sat in the lounge. Elena joined us.

"Hey." I said

"Hey. Anything on the GPS?" Elena asked

"Your phone is planted in Santos' car and it hasn't moved. This could all be a bust if they're using another vehicle."

"How's Clay?" Nick asked

"They did a number on him, Nick."

"Yeah, he's not the only one." I said

Nick looked between us before realizing.

"Who, me? I'm fine." Nick said

"Bullshit." I snapped

"You're angry. I can see it. You have every right to be, they killed your father.
I'm going to make them pay for what they did to everyone in my life." Elena said