Chapter 9: Vengeance

I sat out on a tree stump watching as Nick and Jeremy fought each other. After everything, we all needed a refresher. It hurt too much to think of losing another pack member. It was now only down to 6 of us. We all kept wondering who was going to be next. Jeremy thought it was best if we practiced our fighting techniques on one another. We had to be prepared for anything.

"We were unprepared when Santos and LeBlanc attacked us on the road. They caught us off guard. Your father paid the price." Jeremy said

"We won't be caught off guard this time." Nick said

"Nick, you're letting your emotions control you. You're leaving your left flank exposed. That leaves you vulnerable to a counter-attack. Self-control is everything."

"Did you pick the place or did Koenig?"

"It was mutually agreed-upon."

"Did you ever fight him in the past?"

"No, I've never fought anyone from the Pack before. Except my father.
Jimmy Koenig was an enforcer. He always did business for the Pack, never against us, until now."

"Well, you'll take him out. He won't know what hit him."

"Don't underestimate Jimmy Koenig or his brutality. Your father made that mistake once and he regretted it the rest of his life. You were barely six months old and I was supposed to bring you and Antonio back into the Pack. But on that day I was told to stand down. None of us knew, but your grandfather, Dominic, had sent Jimmy Koenig instead. Antonio brought you back and never spoke of your mother again. That chapter was closed."

"Who knew bringing a baby boy into the world could cause so much trouble?"

"A few years after Antonio came back, I asked Dominic about the man your father had to kill and bury. Dominic had no idea what I was talking about. That wasn't his order. It was Koenig. He forced your father to kill a man, just for the sport of it. Koenig is a very strong fighter, but in the moment right before the kill, he blocks everything else out so that he can savor the second that he takes his victim's life."

This Koenig guy worried me. I was scared for the pack. Looking to my left I saw Clay and Elena sparring.

"You're telegraphing your punch in your eyes. You have to be able to disassociate yourself from what has to be done." Clay said

"You don't need to teach me how to fight."

"I'm explaining how to win. Malcolm tried to teach me everything that Koenig showed him."

"Like how to dehumanize your opponent?"

"Yes. You think I'm bad. Koenig's worse. Take everything you hate about me, and then take away the fact that I love you. That's Koenig."

Elena shoved Clay away from her and walked off. Nick walked over to Clay.

"Sorry I missed whatever that was." Nick said

"That was nothing. Jeremy kick your ass again?" Clay said

"Yes, but at least I made him work for it."

"How is he?"

"Still recovering, but 80% Jeremy is better than 100% Mutt."

"Is he ready for someone like Koenig?"

"He thinks he is."

"Let's hope he's right."

"Yeah."

I sighed rolling my eyes at them standing up.

"You boys should really put more faith in Jeremy. He knows what he is doing. Have some faith." I said