Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

Sasuke glanced up at her, wishing, hoping that she heard him and she'll answer back. A twitch of her eye or her fingers, anything. He just needed something to keep his hopes from falling down. A minute passed by, nothing. And then another minute, and then it was five, still nothing.

"Come on, Sakura. Give me something here. Anything."

Nothing.

"I can't just leave here, fly across the world and attend college and live life like it's okay knowing that you're still here, in this bed. Doing nothing with your life. I need to know that you're awake and okay and living your life to the fullest then, I can leave. Although it kills me, it kills me to do so, I can because you're okay."

"And it'll be alright if you can't leave Konoha, as long as you're up and moving, everything will be alright. Just wake up, Sakura."

If it was possible to die of a broken heart, she would have been announced dead right then and there. But that wasn't possible. Yet, she felt and heard her heart crack at the sound of his voice - so dead, lifeless and full of desperation.

She heard it all, from the first day to the moment right now. She couldn't tell or figure out who he was but, she came around to love him never less. It was like a mother growing attached to her baby, one that was growing inside of her. Her heart reached out to him. The simplest touches from him would thrill her in ways unimaginable, making her heart swell as her stomach would explode with butterflies. His voice left shivers and chills crawling down her back, gripping her heart tight.

True, she didn't know who he was but she did manage to catch his name - Sasuke. Uchiha Sasuke. And that was all she knew about him aside from the fact that he practically had her heart in the palm of his hands. She didn't know how he managed it but he did alright and it was tearing it apart not being able to open her eyes and see his face. She just wanted to be able to at least twitch her fingers or something to tell him that she heard him and she's trying her best to answer his call. That didn't happen though; it just seemed like her brain was totally disconnected from her body, enabling her to do anything. Her body was just dead weight.

She felt his fingers brush some locks out of her face, stopping to rest on her forehead. The pad of his fingers were rough yet soft if that was even possible. The simple touches brought the irritating frustration pent up inside her to simmer down, calming her almost instantly. And then, he began tracing the outline of her face, making a full circle around her face. Straightening out the invisible crease between her brows, he brushed pass her eyebrows, trailing down her cheeks, touching her nose and then outlining her lips. Slowly, his fingers found their way into her hair, waving themselves in.

"Please...please... please... please...please, Sakura."

Her heart was ripped from her chest without another word. Her breath was knocked right out of her. His words left her drowning in emptiness, the coldness rushing to the ends of her toes. Her body was ruthlessly torn apart into pieces. She felt like she was being stabbed a thousand times over, pain exploding in every part of her body. If she hadn't drowned already, she was sinking deeper into an abyss of tears. His words clawed at what was left of her, leaving scars and marks in their path. And then, there was nothing but the numb, tingling sensation left over.

Fear was lodged tight in her throat - in her airways, making it extremely difficult to breath. Why? Why was he doing this to her? Fear had its hands posed tight around the column of her throat, squeezing it tighter with every second that passed. Fear of him leaving her there with a broken heart that he didn't know of. Fear of losing him without even getting to know who he was. Fear of missed chances to say 'I love you' to this perfect stranger. Fear of losing hope, losing her heart, losing what's left of her sanity to him. Fear of this fear.