III. Chapter 34 | Part 1 - Stone

Instrumental Music: "Am I Not Human?" by Two Steps From Hell

----

Darkness enveloped the land, running shivers up and down Stone's spine without the light of the moon to guide him between the leaves in the trees above.

Blindfolded to Her power, his heightened senses held a dull edge to them, as they did every new moon.

And yet, they had to stand guard and anticipate an attack; for surely the vampires would not sleep tonight and take full advantage of every werewolf and lycan's weakness.

The earth was dry under his paws from lack of rain, and there were no signs of rain coming tonight. The breeze carried with it only the dryness of the forest.

The night had been quiet so far. Nothing unusual to strike him for the last few hours as he hunted the eastern edge of the territory for vampires. As he neared the corner of the southeast border and Gunner in the northeast, the normal singing of grasshoppers stilled in the trees.

Crouching down low to the earth, he stilled and listened, taking in the smells around him.

The grasshoppers in the trees were normally undisturbed by his movements on the forest floor. Something had to be up there with them.

[Status update,] he demanded in the pack link.

A chorus of negative responses sounded, which didn't surprise him.

Still, the lack of crickets chirping and owls hooting said something was off.

The fur raised on his nape.

[Is it unusually quiet at your ends?]

Again, the responses were of nothing unusual, but Gunner announced that the North Fang Pack was on guard at the north-east end and around the eastern city limits of Saint Paul.

[Alpha Colten is ready to send warriors into our territory if need be,] Gunner said.

With each passing second, the hairs on Stone's body raised up.

Something was here. Something he couldn't detect, but could still somehow sense.

[Send them in.]

[Are you certain?]

[Yes. In stillness, he waits; watching like a predator and I, the prey,] he said as a faint breeze ruffled through his fur.

There was definitely a vampire nearby, but only one. One too weak against him and only biding his time until he was joined by more.

Stone remained still, listening to the silence around him for the slightest hint of a presence.

There was no breeze to blow a scent. No leaves to rustle. A cricket chirped once before he too fell silent.

[Reinforcements are on their way.]

[Lead them to Little Creek Valley and stay hidden. I'll meet you there.]

[Yes, Alpha.]

To lure the predator out into the open was his best option. He could handle him out there on the ground where he could get his paws on him. It was only a game when the vampire remained in the trees. A game he couldn't win.

The sound of a branch bending caught his attention and he held his breath to listen closer.

A split second later, something whirled through the air and struck him across his shoulder.

A roar of pain erupted as the fiery-cold silver edge of the arrow sliced through his skin. Had it been an inch lower, it would have embedded itself into his shoulder and caused more damage.