III. Chapter 31 | Stone

^^^ Work it, baby ;) ^^^

----

Stone heard every word confessed in the kitchen as he sat on the ground in the backyard, petting Whiskey as the old dog panted next to him in the shade.

Anger boiled up within him as he kept his thoughts to himself.

He could never understand humans. Bad enough that they killed each other over petty things, but killing their own unborn?

His thoughts whirled. Even if the child had been unwanted, how? How could someone do that to themselves and another being created from their own flesh and blood within? What of their souls? Of their soulmates?

He raked his hands through his hair, reminding himself that soulmates were different for humans. They were still capable of loving others. Was Aubree and Dan's relationship not proof of that?

Closing his eyes and heaving a sigh, he leaned back against the brick wall of the house and tried to reframe his way of thinking.

Sandra still ached over this "mistake." It must have been hard for her to do. It must have been frightening. She did it on her own with no one there to help and support her. Her mistake cost her the lives of every child she would have had after, and that had been out of her control. She was repeatedly punished as a consequence of her actions.

And only Aubree had survived.

This was the Goddess' will, he told himself. She has not only blessed me and the pack but this family as well. She breathed life into her womb. She had seen their suffering and if She could forgive them, so I too must also forgive them.

He cleared his mind, controlled his breathing, and let his senses take in everything around him. Birdsong in the distance. A plane flying overhead. Children laughing and people talking. The warm breeze fanned his face and brought with it different city smells mixed with barbecue and he tried to focus on the heavenly meat aromas instead of all the city odors and noise. He could almost taste the tangy-sweet barbecue sauce on his tongue.

His hand clutched his chest as Aubree's heartache at her mother's disclosure clenched within him.

He remembered the first time he felt her heart break. She'd been under this very roof while he was back in Minnesota. It seemed like only yesterday even though it had been about a month and a half ago. He hurt her a few more times after that, but she forgave him. Even when they believed he could never give her the offspring she desired, Aubree forgave him and never gave up hope.

He cradled his head in his hands. Guilt crashed over a century's worth of anger harbored toward the Goddess. In his agony of loss, he turned his back on Her and She forgave him. She gave him another chance, even if he didn't deserve it.

An involuntary whimper slipped out, catching Whiskey's attention. The dog tilted his head, whined, and leaned over to lick his face.

He pulled the dog against his chest and buried his face in his fur. His throat rumbled in a way that communicated his appreciation as he nuzzled the dog's neck and scratched him behind the ear.

Whiskey settled down next to him and put his head on Stone's lap while he continued to brush his fingers through his fur, waiting for Aubree to either call him inside or come outside.

Aubree came out some time later with water and nestled herself into his arms. Stone stayed out of her mind, giving her space as she relaxed with Whiskey by their sides.

After ten minutes or so, they went inside.

The cleaning products had all been put away, but the smell lingered.