III. Chapter 28 | Part 1 - Aubree

Aubree never expected Jackson to regret the events that took place six years ago.

Hearing him apologize and seeing the remorse of his actions twisting the contours his face, rubbed her with shame.

Had she been wrong? The instigator of a mistake that he had to bury deep within so no one would find out? Had she been too drunk to realize his struggle and what she was doing to him?

She couldn't look either Jackson or Stone in the eye as images from six years ago flickered in her mind from the moment she and the stranger, Craig, started making out on the lawn outside the house while the party continued on inside.

Jackson called out her name, but that didn't deter her from the feel of Craig's lips molding with hers and the sensations he was creating within her as his hand continued to fondle her breast while the other massaged her inner thigh.

What jarred her away from Craig was the sound of an animal growling.

Jackson called her name again as she looked around them for the dog, but saw none.

A hand grabbed her arm and pulled. She looked up into the cold, hard eyes of Jackson as his nostrils flared and his pupils dilated.

"What?" she demanded.

"It's time to go," he said. "I'm taking you home."

"Wha-Why?" she protested as he yanked her to her feet.

She tried to pull away, but he was far stronger than her drunk ass.

If Craig did anything, she didn't notice. The world was spinning around her as she stumbled around with a strong arm holding her upright.

"Aw, com'on, Jack," she slurred. "I was just having a lil fun."

"I told you, I had your back, Aubree. That guy was trouble."

She huffed. "Why's everyone tryna control me, huh? Why woncha let me play?"

"Brooke cares about you. She'd kill me if I let anything happen to you, and that guy was just going to use you and throw you away like a dirty towel."

"Maybe I want dat, huh? Didcha ever think 'bout dat?" She waved her hand around. "I mean, no one ever lets me do anything on my own. Brooke, she-she's always telling me don't do dis or don't do dat, and she's always scaring away boys, like, how am I suppose'ta meet anyone?"

"She's your best friend and cares about you," he grumbled.

"Of course, but I'm eighteen and can make my own decisions."

"You're also drunk as a skunk, not in the best frame of mind, and an easy target."

"And I feel great! I feel free! For once, I'm not afraid t'talk to guys I don't know, and dance like no one's watching. No judgment. No over-thinking. Just me and da music and anyone who will dance with me."

"Maybe you attract the wrong guys."

She laughed as he opened the door of a car and helped her into the seat.

It wasn't a question, and that was what she found so funny. How would he know? Not all guys were bad. She knew that. Her father was awesome. Not a bad bone in his body. One of these days, she'd find a guy like him, have a family, and grow old together.

She looked for him throughout high school and didn't find him. Next step was college and parties. Surely, one of these guys she met would be the one?

She was still laughing as he slammed the door shut and climbed in the driver's side door a moment later.

"Why ya gotta kill my fun, Jack?" she asked, her laughter turning to little giggles.