III. Chapter 21 | Part 1 - Aubree

The act of experiencing someone else's memories—especially ones as painful and emotionally charged as the ones Stone had shown her—was both enthralling and overwhelming. She could feel his every emotion that raged through him. Felt his anger, his hatred, his disgust, his fear, his guilt, and his utter devastation and remorse through his mind and touch. She couldn't even grapple with her own thoughts and feelings as she experienced the mental projections, as if she'd been walking in his own shoes.

She wanted to slaughter the rapist when he did. Fall down to her knees with the baby as he did.

She didn't know his world had been so cruel. How his life had been touched—tainted—by humans.

And he was expected to turn a blind eye and let them hurt others?

She didn't understand his world, and she couldn't help but wonder how she could ever fit in it.

She didn't press him, and he didn't bring it up. They stayed locked in each other's arms on the chair, holding each other and sharing in the comfort they both sought.

Letting go of Gwen took on a whole new meaning to her.

Gwen had been there when he was exiled and wracked with guilt. She stayed at his side when they crossed Europe, the ocean, and the United States. She helped maintain the pack. She took over her mother's role when no one else could. She was there during her father's grief.

She was so much more than a daughter to him.

All of them were so much more than simply pack members.

Pride and love grew within her for each of them.

This was the way family should be. The way she thought a pack should be.

She wanted to make them proud as their Luna and hoped she could be as good as Gwen and Adelaide had been. The Blauwald Pack deserved it if they had to lose Gwen as well.

After half an hour, they pulled away from each other to start the day. Their stomachs growled, but Stone insisted she do her training first.

She groaned. "Can't I do it later?"

"You'll throw it all up if you train with a full belly."

She began to protest, but he picked her up and threw her over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes and carried her down the stairs.

"Afraid not, Röslein. But I'll allow you to have a single slice of toast. How about that?"

Huffing, she relented as he carried her down.

Step number one to becoming Luna was to get in shape. Boy, did she need to get in shape. She didn't miss those disapproving looks Stone and Gunner exchanged. She knew she sucked, but she wasn't one to admit defeat. Her stubbornness wouldn't let her.

Dom, Mari, and their other two pack mates were out hunting, Stone said when they reached the living room and found it empty.

When she asked how he knew, he tapped his temple. "Gunner and Gawain. They're still on patrol."

They went into the kitchen and a minute later were joined by Alistair as Aubree waited for her bread to toast.

"Good morning, meine kleine—"

"No more German pet names, Alistair," she interrupted, quirking a brow in challenge.

He sputtered, his mouth grappling for words. "B-But, Mausi—Hasi—Spatzi—Zuckerschnecke!"

"I don't know what any of those mean!"

He eyed her up and down as a slow, crooked grin began to creep up his face.