III. Chapter 27 | Part 1 - Aubree

Those dark eyes turned back to Aubree from across the table as the young alpha rose to his feet and returned the greeting with his palms up. Grudgingly, the others in the room followed, some with a bit of difficulty due to stiffened joints that creaked.

"Welcome home, Aubree," Jackson said, to which Stone growled lowly. "Luna Aubree," Jackson corrected.

Aubree and Stone lowered their hands, prompting the werewolves to follow suit.

"It's good to be home, Alpha," she said. "Although, it doesn't feel like home anymore."

Truth in a web of lies.

She put a hand on Stone's arm and pushed calming emotions on him. She could tell he was struggling. His mind locked up tight. "This is my mate, Alpha Stone of the Blauwald Pack in Minnesota."

His dark eyes fell on Aubree again. "Yes, Alpha Hector and Luna Rosemary briefed us on your coming, but we never expected this."

"Neither did we, but it seems the Goddess had other plans. Makes me wonder, now that I know, why werewolves befriended a human like me all these years."

She thought she saw his Adam's apple bob up and down in his throat, but maybe that was a figment of her imagination as fear flickered for a split second in his eyes.

"Interesting, indeed," he said and motioned to the chairs before them. "Have a seat."

As she settled into the leather chair, Aubree took a moment to study Jackson's mate beside him. She looked a lot like Brooke, built strong with dark brown hair in large curls, but her eyes matched Jackson's whereas Brooke's were a sea-foam green. Her face was slightly rounder than Brooke's but that could be a result of the baby-bump that was evident, but still a few months away from being due.

Jackson didn't introduce her; however, seeing as this was an "inquisition," rather than a friendly reunion, she let the lack of introductions slide.

Silence engulfed the room as the eyes across from them studied them like a virus under a microscope.

She rested her hand on top of Stone's as he gripped the armrest tightly.

Still trying to control himself.

Sighing, she knew she'd have to be the one to get the ball rolling.

"So, Alpha, why have you summoned us? We are only here for a few days to celebrate the Fourth of July with my parents and then we will return to our pack."

"Luna, what do you know of our kind?"

Straight to the point. No beating around the bush.

She hoped this wouldn't take long.

"She knows enough," Stone interjected.

"I'm sorry," Jackson said as his gaze turned from Aubree to Stone. "I believe, I was asking Luna Aubree a question. Do you feel the need to answer for her?"

Stone began to grit his teeth, but Aubree gave his hand a squeeze. "It's been a lot to take in in a short period of time, but I believe I know enough, as my mate said. There are still some things I'm sure I need to learn, like all the history, but I have time to learn."

"Then, you must know why I have summoned you here."

Irritation wrapped itself around her throat. "Well, I can't read your mind, but I can take a wild guess. We've been through this already with another pack before we sealed the bond, so all this hostility is extremely unnecessary and aggravating."

She tugged the collar of her shirt over to reveal her mark, signifying the sealing of the matebond as she spoke.

Low growls reverberated around the room, to which Stone growled even louder to silence them all.