III. Chapter 28 | Part 2 - Stone

Stone listened in silence to the conversation taking place between his mate and the male werewolf, hearing more, seeing more, and smelling more than the simple words that were spoken.

He saw brief glimpses of Aubree's memories before he quickly locked up his own mind to prevent himself from witnessing more.

She had a life before him—he had to keep reminding himself that. She couldn't possibly know that he existed and that they were soulmates.

How could he blame her? It was human nature to lust after an attractive male and there was no denying that Jackson was not only physically desirable, but he possessed the qualities that marked him as an alpha—confidence, pride, and an air that drew others in and made them feel comfortable.

Mentally, he separated himself from the pair as they talked. Stood back and observed. Smelled the acidity of remorse seeping from their flesh.

The stench of guilt and regret was always one of the most pungent odors to the lycan nose.

And yet, his pack put up with the stink of him for a century.

The most loyal beasts he could ever ask for.

The furrow in his mate's brows told him that she understood the consequences of her actions and how they affected Jackson.

Tangled emotions, a pair of flies, caught in a web of lies.

"I'm sorry you had to find out this way," Jackson said. "You weren't supposed to find out, but seeing as you two are mates, it was bound to happen."

"Is there anything further you wish to discuss with us?" Stone's voice was flat, concealing everything he didn't want to reveal to both his mate and the young alpha.

Jackson pulled himself together at the sound of Stone's voice and looked him in the eye.

Alpha to alpha.

"No," Jackson responded. "I see no reason to press charges, lock you both up, and inform the Lycan Council of your wrongdoing because you have done nothing criminal. You have not taken a human against her will, and while the outcome of her marking is questionable at this moment, no lycan would willingly harm his human soulmate in the manner we all fear. And you are soulmates, I sense that much for certain."

He made a sweeping motion with his hand toward the doors. "The elders of my pack are just concerned, as I'm sure you can understand. Luna Aubree was once a human who lived among us and is a dear friend of Brooke's. If anything happened to her, Brooke would have enacted her revenge. She is one of our strongest female warriors. I'm sure you can appreciate that level of honor."

"Where is Brooke?" Aubree asked.

He jerked his head toward the doors. "Waiting out in the hallway with everyone else. She was finishing up her evening training session with the other warriors when you both came. She's ready to tear your mate 'a new one' when she picked up your scents, but she's holding herself back to hear you out. I think you both have a lot to catch up on."

She pressed her hand to her face, the tired ache in her head matching his own. She sighed. "I need a minute."

Jackson nodded and turned toward the windows lining the back wall, overlooking the green space behind the community center.

She cast a sideway's glance at Stone but didn't raise her gaze up to his. He felt her gentle prodding against his mental barrier and opened it up to let her in.

[You're angry with me,] she said.

[I'm not sure 'angry' is the right word. Disappointed, yes. Frustrated, yes. Frankly, I'm exhausted. Kaput. I want to leave so I can relax. I can't relax in front of another alpha.]